Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Win 7 to Win 10

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 to Win 10

My girlfriend has just updated her Win 7 to Win 10(it happened automatically).Much to my surprise,ALL THE ICONS ON THE DESKTOP were still there as before in the new OS.I decided not to update my Win 7 to 10,because I read so much about the new Metro tiles,that are totally distasteful to me(I am aware of Classic Shell as a partial solution).My question to the experts is:is this the way it happens when 7 is updated to 10?And secondly,because I had carefully hidden all the updates that prepared my OS(7)to the coming 10,I am now wondering whether it was not a mistake not to take advantage of the free upgrade,and more importantly,can I still upgrade NOW,without losing all the icons I am accustomed to see on my desktop.Basically I thought that if it ain't broke,why fix it,and that is why I stayed with 7,which is a very nice workable OS for a forever beginner old guy that I am.Thank you for any response to this!

Thanks
    I haven't yet installed or used Windows 10. But I will say this: If you really love Windows 7, stay with it. There's no need to upgrade to Windows 10.

Often I have observed that people feel the need to have the "latest and greatest", and so they move to a newer version, when what they had was working fine for them. Resist the urge to upgrade for upgrade's sake; do your research, and then do what your brain tells you to do, regardless of what everyone else is doing, and regardless of what the salesmen tell you.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2015-09-25)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you so much for a valuable advice!

Thanks
    If you're content with Windows 7 then stay with that OS, it ain't going away anytime soon.
    You'll be defacto upgrading to W10 with your next computer purchase anyway.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2015-09-25)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks vry much for taking the time!

Thanks
    Since your girlfriend now has win 10, you can see if it offers anything that you would like that's better than win 7. Personally, I upgraded 1 laptop to win 10 but I doubt that I will update the other computers in the house from win 7 to win 10. I don't see anything earth shaking about win 10 and the auto updating policy is a drawback in my eyes not to mention the privacy issues that upset many.
    As Clint said, if you buy a new computer you will be getting win 10 anyway.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2015-09-26)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macko1944 View Post
    My girlfriend has just updated her Win 7 to Win 10(it happened automatically).Much to my surprise,ALL THE ICONS ON THE DESKTOP were still there as before in the new OS.I decided not to update my Win 7 to 10,because I read so much about the new Metro tiles,that are totally distasteful to me(I am aware of Classic Shell as a partial solution).My question to the experts is:is this the way it happens when 7 is updated to 10?And secondly,because I had carefully hidden all the updates that prepared my OS(7)to the coming 10,I am now wondering whether it was not a mistake not to take advantage of the free upgrade,and more importantly,can I still upgrade NOW,without losing all the icons I am accustomed to see on my desktop.Basically I thought that if it ain't broke,why fix it,and that is why I stayed with 7,which is a very nice workable OS for a forever beginner old guy that I am.Thank you for any response to this!
    Sounds like you are going from hearsay regarding Win8.1 not, Windows 10. There is no TIle or "Metro" concerns w/ Win10, Classic Shell is completely unnecessary, taking advantage of the free Upgrade is, certainly, not (ever) a mistake just smart & timely and no, you don't lose anything... It just becomes 'YOU', but, now, as Windows 10.

A previous OS does not have to be 'broken' in any way for it to be intelligent to move to Windows 10 (especially whilst FREE!). It is very good & very easily likable.

May as well use it as just good motivational timing to not delay being w/ Windows 10. That much sooner is only that much nicer. 10 is just so enjoyable & so damn easy to use. Nice Features in it, too!!
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2015-09-25 at 13:40.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2015-09-26)

Thanks
    Sounds like you are going from hearsay regarding Win8.1 not, Windows 10. There is no TIle or "Metro" concerns w/ Win10, Classic Shell is completely unnecessary, taking advantage of the free Upgrade is, certainly, not (ever) a mistake just smart & timely and no, you don't lose anything... It just becomes 'YOU', but, now, as Windows 10.
    While its a better GUI than Windows 8, the Start Menu still contains Tiles and some users prefer the cleaner folder interface that Classic Shell provides. And the God awful Universal/Modern/Metro applications still clutter up the OS. I have learned how to customize the Start Menu so it is tolerable without classic Shell or one of the other Start Menu replacements but other prefer them. Whether the upgrade is "Smart" is personal. I have a couple of business clients that feel its smarter to stay with Windows 7.

Since you can roll back to your previous OS within a month, I would suggest trying the Windows 10 upgrade to see how you like it and judge for yourself. If you don't like it, roll back.

My personal list of Windows 10 pluses and Minuses

Pluses
    Feels quicker
    Start Menu more Tolerable than Windows 8 but still not as good as Windows 7
    Security updates supported for a longer period of time

Minuses
    Control Options scattered between Control Panel and Settings
    No control over installation of individual Windows Updates
    Edge browser set by default is flakey and does not support add ons
    - several of the sites I visit don't load properly
    - Edge needs to be restarted when my laptop wakes from sleep
    - Can't use a password manager because of no add on support

Jerry

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2015-09-26)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank yoy Jerry for the detailed advice.It sounds like a real good one.Personally,I am a simple user and not an experienced one,so i shall just stay with Win 7 that does all I need for now.As you all told me,on my next computer(if I live that long-I am78)it will be there inevitably.
    Thank you again(ALL!!!)for taking time to respond to us,who are much less knowledgeable and experienced!You all are a great help and some of us surely need it!
    Best regards and all the best to you all!

Thanks
    You're welcome. Enjoy your existing computer.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Macko. talking about a simple user, I am another one. I have gone to W-10 and would not go back. As the major contention here is the Start menu, let me show how I got around it, my way ! ( Sinatra ). I use the taskbar as a Start menu, see :

)start.jpg

I randomly might use another app, I then go to Search and type it in. Voillà ! As Jerry mentioned, it is nibbler than any other OS before. We are creatures of habit, said the monk, thus a new OS demands some getting use to it, one has to tame it and oneself's too, there you go, a new personal challenge.

That .jpg taskbar is diminished, you might be able to see all the old apps that I run here and W-10 did not flinch once on them.

All best wishes. Jean.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ??nibbler??

Zig

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Zig, hello.

Nibbler : A biter who takes dainty repeated bites.

W-10 will sort itself out by taking small bites at the Web and all its resources. In reference to an OP who said that a reboot took care of his problem. W-10 has access to so many facilities, on its own, it will cure anything and no indigestion.

I am having fun. All best wishes. Jean.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Zig, hello.

Nibbler : A biter who takes dainty repeated bites.

W-10 will sort itself out by taking small bites at the Web and all its resources. In reference to an OP who said that a reboot took care of his problem. W-10 has access to so many facilities, on its own, it will cure anything and no indigestion.

I am having fun. All best wishes. Jean.
    I'd still keep a bottle of Pepto handy

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Anybody have Windows 10 ?? I don’t want it but that windows 10 icon somehow got back on my taskbar, and when I clicked it I immediately got “Install Windows 10” in my update window. I had just installed updates so maybe that’s how the icon got on my taskbar. I do NOT want to install Window 10... anybody know how to get that off of my Windows update screen ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast