Thanks

Graphic Boot Menu -- Then Not!

Not that it matters as far as the boot process working, because it does, just fine. But I am curious:

On initial setup, the W-10 boot process was showing a GUI at startup. Then I added Macrium Reflect to the boot menu, and it was still graphic. Then I added an entry to start in safe mode -- I had seemed to be having issues getting into safe mode at startup -- and, although all entries still work as planned, the menu changed from the W-10 GUI to the recognizable "Dos" menu from past windows versions.

The process I used to edit the boot menu was one I found at http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...a.html#option3 .

Was/is there something I did n the process that caused the change? I mean, obviously it was something I did, but was / is it something of "choice" that could be changed?

Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm far from expert on this but I'll make one observation.

Safe Mode uses generic video drivers and fixed display resolutions as part of it's "Safe" design and methodology. Typically it uses something like 800 x 600 resolution and a restricted colour palette even though most systems are physically capable of much higher settings.

Could it be that the GUI boot screen was operating at higher res than Safe Mode supports? And so the menu system kicked down to character mode?

Yet if this were true we still have to explain how the GUI boot even knows about Safe Mode and the resolution conflict. In my experience boot managers run completely independently of the options they point to. The boot manager is a self-contained system in other words. Resolution conflicts between the boot manager and the options it activates are handled by a re-initialization of the graphics system and a mode switch, upon selection of a boot option.

Thanks
    The GUI was certainly operating at a higher res than safe mode. But then as you pointed out, why wouldn't that "reset" upon rebooting? Also, when I added Macrium Reflect to the boot menu before, it kept the GUI interface, and this time, it kept the "DOS" interface that had been introduced.

There must then be a "switch" that is set to determine the interface at startup that has to be directly acted upon.
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Lounger
    Thanks
    Doing the opposite in this article may help you if you want to return to the graphical boot menu:

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-disable-...-in-windows-8/

Thanks
    Funny that link is bring up a zip file for me.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Me as well.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Strange!!!! It takes me to the page OK.
    Here's the link in plain text (copy and put in address field)

askvg.com/how-to-disable-new-metro-boot-loader-and-bring-back-windows-vista-and-7-style-boot-loader-in-windows-8

Or search for the "how to .....windows -8" string
    Last edited by pima67; 2015-09-28 at 18:30.

Thanks
    working today!
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.