Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 Pro system boots into Windows 7 Pro. But this system has never had Win7! WHAT?

I'm trying to help my computer-challenged friend (over the phone). He has a desktop system originally with XP. He skipped Win7 and went to Win8. He later accepted the free upgrade to Win10, which he has been using for months.

He tells me that his system is now booting into Win7 Pro. In Control Panel / System & Security / System, it reports the Windows edition as Windows 7 Professional SP1.

This is insane. If I didn't know better, I'd think he was messing with me.

I'm wondering if Win10 has some sort of Win7 compatibility mode that got set to somehow use at boot.

Anybody have any ideas???

Thanks
    This is insane. If I didn't know better, I'd think he was messing with me.
    Either he probably is, or your not getting correct information.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Or maybe something he smoked??
    And months it has only been 1 and a half.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    And months it has only been 1 and a half.
    I guess when you're using Win10 on a desktop, weeks seem like months.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "He has a desktop system originally with XP. He skipped Win7 and went to Win8. He later accepted the free upgrade to Win10, which he has been using for months."
    --- Doesn't make sense without specific details
    --- If he had Windows 8 and not Windows 8.1, there isn't an automatic upgrade to Windows 10 that I know of
    How to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10
    http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2...s-windows.html

"He tells me that his system is now booting into Win7 Pro. In Control Panel / System & Security / System, it reports the Windows edition as Windows 7 Professional SP1."
    --- If it runs good, tell him to count his blessings

If he still wants to get to Windows 10 in the future, more detailed information will need to be known especially since it was an XP system.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    "He has a desktop system originally with XP. He skipped Win7 and went to Win8. He later accepted the free upgrade to Win10, which he has been using for months."
    --- Doesn't make sense without specific details
    --- If he had Windows 8 and not Windows 8.1, there isn't an automatic upgrade to Windows 10 that I know of
    Well, since he was offered (and accepted) an upgrade to Win10, I think he was on 8.1. He wouldn't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    "He tells me that his system is now booting into Win7 Pro. In Control Panel / System & Security / System, it reports the Windows edition as Windows 7 Professional SP1."
    --- If it runs good, tell him to count his blessings
    That's EXACTLY what I told him. He got scared when XP went out of support. He wanted Win7, but it had already been superseded by Win8, and he didn't know how to get Win7 (he could have asked me!).

He thought the devil might be involved (really!). I told him exactly what you said: that he should count his blessings. It's a desktop system without a touch-screen. He wanted Win7 when XP was deprecated, but he felt compelled to buy Win8. Now he has exactly what he wanted in the first place (and what he really ought to have).

But I'm a curious guy. How does an XP->Win8->Win10 system somehow boot to Win7, apparently in native Win7 mode? That would be some really special sauce. It would revolutionize the world. If there were such thing as a Nobel Prize in Computing, the guy that figured THAT out would win for sure! I'm a Christian, but I have a hard time thinking that God did him the favor of installing Win7 on his system. Surely, God would have installed Linux.
    Last edited by davidfilmer; 2015-09-26 at 02:17.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to davidfilmer For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-09-26)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Get him to open a Command Prompt and type "ver" and "winver". The former will give you the version number, the latter a GUI.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure but if he checks Windows Update history and/or System Restore points there should be references as to what was installed, uninstalled. System Restore goes back only a few events but Windows Update history stays.

Then there's Widows.Old: that might be a good reference to check out

When you think of something pertinent ask him to send you a screenshot.

Having had Windows 10 running, ask him how he liked Cortana, IE11 vs Edge. Personally I need proof that he was in fact on Windows 10. I haven't seen anything yet on Windows 10 automatically reverting to another OS and in this case it wasn't even a prior OS as he says he never had Windows 7.

EDIT: Since the computer was originally XP I would suspect there would have been driver issues when upgrading to Windows 10, maybe even Windows 8/8.1
    Last edited by cmptrgy; 2015-09-26 at 09:05.

Thanks
    He needs to get to Windows 10. Windows 7 is headed in the same direction of XP. It is already a dead OS. Nothing is being done to it. Just security patches. It is not a blessing to be on Windows 7 or Linux, That is the devil in disguise! LOL

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @djohnson, I understand what you are saying but Microsoft computers go through 2 complete cycles which I'm sure you already know: End of Mainstream Support and End of Extended Support which typically amounts to about a 10 year time frame with the last 5 years depending on "just security patches". I have gone through Windows 98SE & XP SP3 for their full complete cycles without any problems. 2 of my sons and some friends of mine have no problems with their Vista SP2 computers and in spite of the negative Vista issues their computers run just as well as Windows 98SE & XPSP3 during their full cycles and just as well as Windows 7 & 8.1 run now. Windows 7 SP1 should run just as well until Jan 14 2020 and there isn't any reason Windows 8.1 shouldn't last through it's full cycle either. The key is proper upkeep and maintenance and a computer owner's expectation of what they need to accomplish.

@davidfilmer, it's your friends decision as to what he wants to do but since his computer was originally an XP computer at least Windows 7 is more than OK to move on from XP and continue to use Windows 7 in the meantime but be ready to move on to a more advanced system: Windows 8.1 or Windows 10. Personally I would recommend Windows 10.

In summary I believe trying to upgrade his XP to Windows 10 isn't worth attempting for a number of reasons that are beyond the scope of this discussion.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Ok, I am sure you don't need to be told that not only doesn't make any sense, it's not even possible.

No, it is no blessing being on 7 or Linux as opposed to the joy of being on Windows 10.

No, you can't go from 8 to 10, it's from 8.1 to 10. But, also, cannot upgrade an XP machine to 8, as I recall. So w/ each chapter this book makes less & less sense.

Don't know if he is messing w/ you... maybe you are messing w/ us. Just kidding. But, who knows, maybe think it fun to see how gullible we are.

Anyway, Rt Clk on the Win logo OR hit Win+X and > System. There it will say what the OS is.

Something doesn't jibe in the scenario you describe but, I'm sure you know that, already.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    Windows 7 is headed in the same direction of XP. It is already a dead OS. Nothing is being done to it. Just security patches.
    Where did you get those little gems? Not from MS, that's for sure. Windows 7 will be supported till January 2020! In case you don't believe it, see:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/lifepolicy?
    Windows 10 will itself have been superseded by at least two more OS versions by the time Windows 7 runs out of support.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    No, it is no blessing being on 7 or Linux as opposed to the joy of being on Windows 10.
    Maybe you hadn't heard, but some people still use hardware and/or software not supported by or compatible with Win 10. For such people, Win 10 is anything but a blessing.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Just so y'all know... this makes no sense as there is no more Windows versions following Win10, it's the last. Certainly, most everyone knows this, already... it's pretty much common knowledge & well broadcast.

Windows 10 will itself have been superseded by at least two more OS versions by the time Windows 7 runs out of support.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    No, you can't go from 8 to 10,
    You can, just not via Windows Update:

For systems running Windows 7 RTM or Windows 8 RTM that cannot be updated Service Pack 1 and Update 1 respectively; how can they qualify for the free upgrade?

Persons running those releases will need to perform an offline upgrade using the .ISO file for Windows 10 which will be available. Your personal files, apps and settings will still be preserved.

Windows 10 upgrade from 8.0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast