New Lounger
    Thanks

Office 365 Personal: Version 2016 problem

I just tried to install Office 2016 as part of my 365 subscription. Much to my surprise it told me Visio Professional 2013 is not compatible with Office 2016, would be removed, and couldn't be reinstalled! I could install Visio 2013 on a different computer or of course I could buy the new Visio Professional 2016 for $589.99!!! WOW. I'm not installing 2016 at this time...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Further insight - there is now a $13/month ($156 per year) subscription for Visio Pro for Office 365 as another option. I'm not really happy my stand alone version no longer is compatible.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Office 2016 Problems and Solutions and Frequently Asked Questions has some answers that reaffirm what you've found.

Joe

Thanks
    And you may have already noticed too that if you go to do a save as, then browse, then OneDrive the old default "Excel 97-2003 Workbook" will no longer show your Excel workbooks in OneDrive. One has to change that to "Excel Workbook". I thought something weird was going on when I had to save as xxxx (1) but I didn't catch it until this morning.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Follow up: I was able to downgrade to Visio 2010. I still had my install files and activation code for Visio 2010 and thought I would give it a try. After installing Office 2016 I installed Visio 2010 and it works. Still not happy, but at least I can use Visio for the few projects where I need a diagramming program.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can now get a free upgrade for Project/Visio 2013 etc. to work with Office 2016:

Special offer for customers with Office 2016 and Office 2013 standalone applications

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Surprisingly Visio 2003 still works on my Windows 10 desktop. I also have Office 2016 installed.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The goal of all computer companies is to force you to buy expensive upgrades you neither need nor want, and to make it expensive to go elsewhere.
    With the advent of the UEFI BIOS, they even tie your OS to your computer manufacturer. Heaven help you if you buy a brand that goes away, or gets away from PCs like Sony just did - and there are many more.

They claim it is all to provide you with a more "secure" PC.
    That is pure unadulterated nonsense.

The only security is provided to the profits of Microsoft, Intel, AMD, and the computer manufacturers.

In over 25 years in the computer industry, I have only encountered 3 or 4 people who were victims of malware, and it was caused by the users doing stupid things.

Your mileage may vary, of course, but how many malware victims do you know?

And how much time and money have you spent on computer "security"? OS upgrades, applying security patches (that trash your PC), pro versions of antivirus software, and on and on.

Now they want you to subscribe to web based software that you pay for and pay for - forever, and they pull crap like ejv33 complains about.

Why is anyone surprised?