Lounger
    Thanks

Style Schemes in Word 2002 (Word 2002 / No service Release)

I work for a legal firm. We have been testing Office XP in hopes of upgrading to it from Office 97. For the most part, everything works just fine. But there is a problem.

We have a legacy of outlining style schemes which were created when the firm was using Word 6.0. If we choose a different outlining scheme, the macro restyles everything, including paragraphs that already have formatting schemes and that fall outside of the outlined area. No matter what one does, when one chooses one of the alternate style schemes, the first paragraph in the document is styled as Heading 1, the second as Heading 2, with various other designations for the paragraphs in the document. THe macro only redefines the styles, so I can't figure out why it's changing paragraphs that are in normal style or that are not formatted with any of the styles being redefined.

With Word 2000 and Word 97, the schemes would only change the paragraphs that already had Heading styles applied. Any ideas why Word 2002 is acting differently?

I searched through the past month's posts here, but I couldn't fine this topic addressed.

Thanks as always.
    Michael Dagley

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Style Schemes in Word 2002 (Word 2002 / No service Release)

daegga--

Would you be willing to paste the code of your macro here, so we could take a look?

klyjen

Lounger
    Thanks

The macro that controls this in our environment was written several years ago by a young lady who is no longer here. Here's a quick description of the routine:

The routine is divided into three basic sections:

1. A Routine that shows a UserForm that lets the user choose between 14 different legal numbering schemes.

2. The user's answer drives a select case statement that sends control to a subroutine to load all the variables necessary to apply the chosen numbering scheme.

3. A routine that loads the values that then drives the following statement:

ActiveDocument.Range.ListFormat.ApplyListTemplate ListTemplate:=ListGalleries(wdOutlineNumberGallery ).ListTemplates(4), ContinuePreviousList:=True, ApplyTo:=wdListApplyToWholeList

When this statement is executed, Word will apply the Heading 1 style to the first paragraph with text in it, no matter what the style. Paragraphs that are styled without text either remain unchanged (for styles that have nothing to do with the numbering scheme) or are changed to reflect the new numbering scheme.

The problem is that Word 2002 ignores the existing style of any paragraph with text in it, giving that paragraph one of the newly defined numbering scheme styles (Heading 1, Heading 2, etc.). If the pre-existing style is normal, the formatting will change without the new style being applied (the style remains "normal" even though the formatting could be radically altered.

I have tried setting the DefaultListBehavior to the wdWord8ListBehavior (the default for Word 2002) and wdWord9ListBehavior switches on the statement above, but nothing changes.

Any ideas about what else I should check? I greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks
    Michael Dagley

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Oh dear. I think that is beyond my abilities, unfortunately. Sorry about that--I was hoping I'd be able to help. However, I'd recommend (if you haven't already) that you post this in the VBA forum too--I've had a lot of great responses to my more code-related questions in that forum, too.

klyjen

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for looking at this, and thanks for the tip about the VBA group. I'll post my problem there as well.

Thanks again
    Michael Dagley

Thanks

Please post your further replies <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=vb&Number=104881&page=0&vie w=expanded&sb=5&o=0&fpart=>here</A>.