Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Silverlight in Win7 Ultimate 32bit missing from I.E.11

I can not play a Microsoft Video in Internet Explorer - keep being told to install Silverlight - and when I do, am told it's already installed. NONE of the four SHOWS of Toolbars and Extensions in Manage Add-ons reveals Silverlight - neither under Microsoft Corporation, nor under Not Available. So the 'enable' option is not available to me. How can I fix this malfunction ?
    I have reason to believe it is connected to Windows Live Essentials - when I installed that, I opted for MAIL only - could that be the problem ?
    I've checked W.L.E. 2012 - it is NOT in that, but I originally installed W.L.E.2011 [for just MAIL] - maybe that is how Silverlight got into my PC - but not 'installed' ... What do you think ? How to fix ?
    Last edited by Sebastian42; 2015-09-27 at 02:38. Reason: afterthoughts about W.L.E.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, Silverlight is part of WLE and is required to access some MS websites.

Silverlight has to be uninstalled before it can be reinstalled and MS has produced this article to resolve that - if you can access it with a corrupt Silverlight.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/2608523

Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't need Silverlight - corrupt or otherwise - to access the URL you gave me. I downloaded the 'Fix it for me' and ran it [and remembered that I had already done that earlier, to no avail). It claimed to have fixed the problem, but nothing had improved.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    All that Fixit does is uninstall Silverlight - you need to click on the link lower down in the article to take you to the download site to install it.

This is where that takes you https://www.microsoft.com/getsilverl...l/default.aspx

Lounger
    Thanks
    The process had SAID that it was re-installing Silverlight. When I clicked on your latest URL, the following showed : "The version of Silverlight installed is: Silverlight 5 (5.1.40?28.0) You are ready to use Microsoft Silverlight.", but there is still NO sign of Silverlight in I.E.'s Manage Add-ons

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Try the uninstaller from http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rpomeroy/arc...tallation.aspx and then reinstall it using the link in the article, but reset IE to defaults first and that should clear IE of any iffy add-ons.

I've just checked it out and it removed Silverlight from my IE11 and the install page gave me the download link, rather than telling me which version I already had installed.

During its install, there are a couple of boxes to uncheck if you don't want Bing as your default search engine and if you don't want MSN as your default home page.

Pressing F5 will return a page to confirm you have Silverlight installed.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-09-28 at 04:35.

Lounger
    Thanks
    It would seem that the FIX IT in RPomeroy's does NOT do the job, because first it told me to close Firefox, and after it declared success, I tried to access the site-requiring-Silverlight, and sure enough, the video offered to play again - in contrast to I.E. which has been telling me to install Silverlight. It seems that no other method has managed to uninstall Silverlight, either.
    There are still scores of references to Silverlight in the registry after that uninstallation.
    Last edited by Sebastian42; 2015-09-28 at 05:50. Reason: extra info

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Well, it worked okay for me in IE 11 so perhaps there's something else amiss on your end.

Are you trying the uninstall/reinstall in IE and did you reset IE to defaults before running the Fixit and reinstall ?

Lounger
    Thanks
    The fix it does not give any options. It appears to affect Firefox as well, because it demanded that I close Firefox. I did NOT reset I.E. to defaults - remiss of me; but I can try that now. I did not reinstall, because Firefox proved that it was still installed.

I misread/misunderstood your question. Are you implying that there is an option in I.E. for uninstalling Silverlight [even though it is NOT listed amongst the Add-Ons] ?
    Last edited by Sebastian42; 2015-09-28 at 06:11. Reason: extra info

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have run that FIX IT again after setting I.E. to its defaults, and Firefox still 'uses' Silverlight, so it has NOT been uninstalled.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can uninstall Silverlight from Programs and Features, but check to see if you have any of these other items for Win 7 as well.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/2091

The only option for Silverlight in IE add-ons is to disable.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Silverlight no longer appears in Program and Features; nor can I find a WPF/E; but there are scores of references to Silverlight in Registry. Firefox can still play the Microsoft video in an unidentified window.
    The disable option in I.E. is NOT available when Silverlight is not listed.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I suppose you could create a restore point and delete those registry entries, but something seems to be screwed up if it is no longer listed in Progs & Features but you still have the plug-in in FF.

Uninstalling Silverlight should have removed the plug-in as well.

EDIT - I don't know if you will be able to access this Fixit for uninstalling problems, but run it and then run the Silverlight uninstaller fixit again.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/..._and_uninstall
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-09-28 at 07:04.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have run a FIX IT 4 time in vain - but am willing to have another go. We can agree on something being screwed up.

Lounger
    Thanks
    That URL of your could not find Silverlight to uninstall, so it proposed "If your program was not listed you can enter the Product Code here. For example: {9EEE2575-B66F-43F7-A455-7D419335C87E}" which leaves me in a spot, as I would not have a clue about a product code. When I entered 'D7314F9862C648A4DB8BE2A5B47BE100' which I found at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2608523, I got "Please enter a valid 38 character Product Code." Google did not give me any product code for Silverlight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast