Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Restore points ?

Hello. Every time that I get an update from MS, all my restore points are erased. Have you also noticed this ?
    Why would MS do this ? This OS is fine enough that I have not had to restore before but for peace of mind, I like having these points as a first step in saving my machine. I rely on clones mainly but Restore is a valid option.

All best wishes. Jean.

Thanks
    Hi Jean,
    I've seen other post's saying the same thing but on mine there are restore points back to Aug. 2015. Originally ( after turning on SR which W10 turned off ) I gave a bit higher % to the amount of save space because it was on 2% and I set it at 4%.
    In other words, it is usually set pretty low by Win 10 upon the upgrade so it writes over the old restore points if you don't give it some space on the HDD. I'm guessing of course but you may want to check.
    HTH

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    What kind of update? If you are talking about installing a new/different build then yes all will be deleted.

Joe

Thanks
    Yes,I have had restore points erased as well. I never linked this to updates though, I thought I had caused this myself some how . I didn't know this was happening to other people also.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morning, Joe.
    Good question, no, it is not with a new built, it takes place whenever I get some update, even the Defender ones. Sure has me baffled. Why would MS want to do this ?
    Yesterday, I got a "Module Installer" update and it created its own Restore point. But it does not show in Update History, nada. I have created "Mine" just now and will keep an eye out for changes.

All fine wishes. Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Kiwi, greetings.
    This disappearance of restore points has me baffled since I have been on W-10, it goes back 10 months, since I became an Insider. I could not see any reason for it and doubled my protection with repetitious clones, now that it the ultimate protection !
    A clone has saved my bacon on many occasions. All best wishes. Jean.

Thanks

And now there are two

I just downloaded WIN 10 updates and now my 4 Restore Points are 2. I wrote down the list of remaining restore points yesterday and checked straight after the update today so no mistake about it. Hmmm Its set at 5% which is 5.19 GB with current usage at 1.16 GB.
    Last edited by KIWIpeteW; 2015-10-16 at 03:25.

Thanks
    Have you clicked on show more at the bottom of the popup??
    I get only 1 until I do. Then I get a bunch going back to Sept'

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Evidently mine has started to lose restore points also. There are 3 from HP updates and the only one I have from Win 10 now is 10/13/15. On 10/15/15 WU installed a newer graphics driver but there is no RP for that either.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    Have you clicked on show more at the bottom of the popup??
    I get only 1 until I do. Then I get a bunch going back to Sept'

I sure do click on "show more" menu, thanks. Pete

Thanks
    I assume MS doesn't want us to go back very far with WU restore points. Makes me wonder if it might be prudent to make a manual restore point before doing WU? Has anyone made a manual restore point that has stuck between WU's?
    Just curious.

jwoods
    If you are running Disk Cleanup, clicking Clean up system files, and then selecting More Options and clicking Clean up... in the System Restore and Shadow Copies section, that removes all but the most recent System Restore point.

Also, it used to be that the "time to live" for a restore point was 90 days, after which it was automatically deleted.

And as Joe mentioned above, if you are installing a new version (build) of the OS (not a regular Windows Update) that will clear all previous restore points.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-10-20 at 00:45.

Thanks
    @jwoods
    1-Nope, I have not run Disk Cleanup at all since the upgrade to 10.
    2-This isn't a "Build", it is an upgrade from win 7 pro on an HP laptop.
    3-The upgrade happened on 8/4 so it hasn't been 90 days

jwoods
    So, if I understand you correctly, you're saying the restore points made with Win 7 Pro disappeared when you upgraded to Windows 10.

If that's the case, the reason for that would be you installed a new version of the OS.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    So, if I understand you correctly, you're saying the restore points made with Win 7 Pro disappeared when you upgraded to Windows 10.

If that's the case, the reason for that would be you installed a new version of the OS.
    I completely understand that the win 7 restore points would be gone after the upgrade to win 10. What I'm talking about is that there are no win 10 restore points previous to 10/13/15, it is the only one and there were a number of them previously. When win 10 WU does a hardware upgrade ( ie: my HD graphics driver ) it doesn't do a restore point at all.
    Today I was notified of the new Flash Player 4 IE 11 update KB3105216 so before I installed it I ran my own restore point. WU didn't make a restore point for the update!!!
    I'm just guessing but MS may get rid of previous restore points since "Update Tuesday" is cumulative. But that still doesn't explain why there are no restore points for anything else.
    I have WU set to notify me before installing updates now so that gives me time to make a restore point before installation in case there is a problem with the update.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast