Lounger
    Thanks

W 7 computer will not boot

A family member wanted to use a headset but tried to plug the pins into a USB port and the computer refuses to reset or work. I suspect that it shorted out. What can I do to reset or to search for and repair a short. I can work inside the box.

Computer os is w 7 home premium and had been working flawlessly.

Dean

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Are you able to boot up into the Advanced Boot options by tapping something like F8 as you switch on to select Safe Mode or get into the BIOS by tapping possibly F2 as you switch on.

If it has shorted something out then there's no telling what damage it has done and would probably require an electronics tech to even find out.

Thanks
    I can not imagine even a 3.5 mm phone plug inserted into a Usb port with out doing damage. As a first step I would unplug the computer from AC. Have someone with good eyes and a flashlight look into the port and see if one of the connectors has been bent and is shorting out either against another connector or the grounding shield. If so try prying it away. I have seen Usb ports cause reboots(ESD). If it is a front panel connector you may unconnect the internal connection to the mother board as an alternative.

While trying a gain take note if there are any beeps in the first few seconds of startup.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Lounger
    Thanks
    To Sudo 15: Thanks for your quick reply. I opened the computer today and checked for any burned or black spots. I checked the C-mos battery, the circutry. I then started the computer and it booted perfectly. Apparently, it just needed a days rest. W 7 is funny that way.

Thanks again and maybe this reply will help someone else.

Dean

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I was going to suggest a cold boot which is to remove all power then hold the power button in for ~30secs, but from your description - thought it was way beyond that, but glad it wasn't serious and hope you have re-educated that family member

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deanvet View Post
    ...tried to plug the pins into a USB port and the computer refuses to reset or work. I suspect that it shorted out. What can I do to reset or to search for and repair a short...
    Probably short-circuited the USB port and tripped the circuit-breaker in the PSU (Power Supply Unit). Often the PSU's circuit-breaker will either take 10-15 minutes or more to reset, or the PSU may need to be disconnected from mains power for a time.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.