Thanks

Build 10547 Pooches my UEFI

I've upgraded to the latest build twice, now, and both times it has pooched my UEFI. The first time I had a dodgy (new) Crucial mSATA SSD, and I thought that had something to do with it. But this last time I'm using a known-good Kingston SSD.

It goes through the upgrade process with all the reboots, etc. gets my settings and new Apps and then launches the Desktop. Everything look right, everything seems to work right, until I reboot. Then I get the blue screen frowny face, two automatic restarts, then the Automatic Repair launches, and it can't do anything except tell me that it can't find a boot device.

This upgrade is putting an extra 450MB MSR partition at the end of my SSD, and I'm thinking that some of the boot files have been rewritten to it. It does all the installation reboots fine, but once the installation is finished and a user reboot is called, it loses the boot device.

I'm restoring my drive image of 10532 again, and I'll let it try the upgrade again, but this time I'm going to delete the extra MSR partition first thing, and go from there. I got nothing to lose.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Would it be worth changing to Legacy from UEFI before the upgrade and then change back afterward or perhaps report this anomaly to MS and stay with 10532 until you get a response, however that works with Insiders.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Would it be worth changing to Legacy from UEFI before the upgrade and then change back afterward or perhaps report this anomaly to MS and stay with 10532 until you get a response, however that works with Insiders.
    I've had the "no boot device" issue before, and it's a fairly simple workaround that involves rebuilding the BCD store and redirecting the bootmgr to look in the right drive for the winload.efi file. In the past this has only involved the EFI partition, but when I do the same repairs to the EFI partition in 10547, I still get the "no boot device" error.

That's what makes me think part of the boot files are in the 450BM partition that gets created during the upgrade. As I said in the OP, my first inclination was that the mSATA drive was causing the problem, since it did test out as bad. But getting the same error with my Kingston SSD, which is running 10532 like a boss, it narrows my focus to that 450MB MSR partition, so I'll deal with that next time around.

It just takes the Insider Program a couple of days to become aware that I'm on 10532 and offer the upgrade. So I'll just piddle with 10532 while I'm waiting.

Changing from UEFI/GPT to BIOS/MBR could be done, but it's a bit more complicated and the GUID's get rewritten in the process, the BCD has to be rebuilt, and then all that has to be gone back through to change back to UEFI/GPT.

I also have the option of doing a clean install back to 10240, but that would give me the Windows 10 bootmgr, and I prefer to use the Windows 7 bootmgr with it's command line UI. But that wouldn't help me figure out this current problem, and that's where my focus is right now; I want to know what's going on here with the user-invoked reboot blowing up on me.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    My thought was that it may have been easier working with the MBR rather than GPT but not having an UEFI machine, that's a bit deep for me

Thanks
    The issue seems to be motherboard-related, rather than 10547. Some other issues have popped up; weird F10 boot menu options, the mSATA port suddenly being reported as "Not installed", and a few excessively long reboot times spent with the UEFI sorting itself out before offering to boot the OS, and some failed boots that would not pass any signal to the monitor or spin up the hard drives.

I have another motherboard on order, and I'm letting the box sit unused until I can make the change.

Unleash Windows