Lounger
    Thanks

supposed connection problem

I am running Windows 8.1 on an HP laptop. It has suddenly started telling me that there is no internet connection when there really is one. The computer starts up, I open my browser and am able to surf without trouble but if I hover my pointer over the bars for connection it tells me I am connected to my router by wifi but there is no internet access. I have tried hard wiring into my modem with an ethernet cable but still the same message. Most programs seem to run - email and mailwasher are fine but the Bing weather app says I am offline, and when I go into the networking section of the control panel it says very clearly that there is no connection. Running system restore at a point before this happened has had no effect. Seems crazy that the machine is online yet says it isn't.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Lounger
    Thanks
    For some reason this has fixed itself. I have just continued using the computer as normal avoiding the programs that wouldn't run and then after turning on this morning it is saying there is internet access.