Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Possible license?

Hello. It has been suggested that I bother all on this site. Here goes !

A friend of mine that I help with his computer, has managed to fry his machine, voltage spike after a grid hiccup. I tried to recover the machine, so far no joy. I inserted a good power supply into it, no joy, I inserted a good Vidcard, still no joy. I extracted his HD and connected it to a USB port, it can be read and browsed.

My next action is to purchase a 2nd hand machine. There is a person here that will gather all "old machines" from different concerns who renew theirs every two year or so. Now the binding. I intend to insert his good HD into it and try to validate it, it has W-10 on it and ran fine before the zap. Will it be possible to have MS understand this situation ? Should I first install 8.1 then seek W-10 ? Would it be possible then to have 8.1 for that 30 day approval period and do the W-10 during that time ? Would it be better to have W-7 first ?

This HD had W-7 on it until that faithful day in July ( 28th ) when it was upgraded. If so, how can I roll it back still keeping in mind that it would be using the same HD ! This new computer would be considered a new machine, I presume. What would be the procedure to boot from that HD to the W-7 OS ? Can I use this option of going back to the previous software that is offered when booting and doing a few magic keystrokes ? I presume ( again ) that if it can be done then getting W-10 installed is cake.

NB: I have one of these machines, a Lenovo, for the last 1.5 year and all is fine.

All best wishes. Jean.

Thanks
    Will it be possible to have MS understand this situation ?
    I can only guess Jean, but other people in threads past have replaced MB's and had to call MS and they got them validated. With a whole new machine ( since the old one is dead ) I would imagine that MS would validate it since you are just moving the license from 1 computer to another.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Lumpy. This is what we are hoping for. MS really wants us as customers, will they bend backward ? Time will tell.

All best wishes. Jean.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you replace the MB and the OS wasn't OEM, then M$ will re-validate the new system once you re-install the OS. More then likely have to do so to re-create the HAL unless you find an exact MB replacement from the one used before.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Lyle, hello.
    Thanks for your time. It is not going to be a new MoBo but a completely new machine except the HD. The new way that MS controls the pirates is by looking at the whole machine, vidcard, MoBo, all attached devices too and makes up a routine that defines one single machine. This is not going to be my case though.

Still hoping for the best and time will tell, this is two weeks away, I am not home but in the boonies.

All best wishes. Jean.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Hello. It has been suggested that I bother all on this site. Here goes !
    Sometimes that's the only way to get the job done!

Bon chance.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can try and get MS to understand this but if my recent experience with a computer that MS registration claims is an Enterprise machine and not a Consumer model is any guide, you can expect to be met with the tech support version of a black hole. I've been waiting on a resolution for two weeks now.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry to hear, G. These things happen. I will let you know how I fare out when the attempt takes place.

All best wishes. Jean.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Jean,

You trying to confuse me or something? Geeesh. You may have succeeded in confusing me. But, anyway...

I, still, don't get the mention of both 7 & 8.1 since one can Upgrade from either. And, the Upgrade process could be use, certainly.

However, I suggest you, 1st, ring MS and inquire; can't hurt to ask what, if anything, they can do. The number is 1-877-426-6010

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    A friend of mine that I help with his computer, has managed to fry his machine, voltage spike after a grid hiccup. I tried to recover the machine, so far no joy. I inserted a good power supply into it, no joy, I inserted a good Vidcard, still no joy. I extracted his HD and connected it to a USB port, it can be read and browsed.

My next action is to purchase a 2nd hand machine. There is a person here that will gather all "old machines" from different concerns who renew theirs every two year or so. Now the binding. I intend to insert his good HD into it and try to validate it, it has W-10 on it and ran fine before the zap. Will it be possible to have MS understand this situation ? Should I first install 8.1 then seek W-10 ? Would it be possible then to have 8.1 for that 30 day approval period and do the W-10 during that time ? Would it be better to have W-7 first ?
    If you obtain another PC with the same M/B and video card as the old one, you can probably just replace its HDD with your existing one and boot from there. Windows may not even recognise this as a hardware change. With any significant changes to either the M/B or video card, though, it's quite possible you won't even be able to get Windows to boot up. That said, you'd still be able to slave the old HDD and recover the data from it.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]