Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Neither recovery partition nor disks work

Gateway M-6881
    Anybody have any ideas...

a. The FACTORY recovery DVDs (2) will not boot. Usually they just run until a window pops up to insert a blank CD, but you can do that forever--and it just cycles through repeatedly. A couple of times it did proceed to a second window indicating the restore was proceeding, but the bar did not advance, and after a minute or so, it too failed (sorry, don't remember the exact indications).

b. Trying to start recovery using the hidden partition does not work either. When you use Programs>Gateway>Gateway Recovery Management>Restore tab and command it...it simply does a shutdown and reboots right back into Vista.

Quite frustrated to have two ways to do it and neither works.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Are you able to boot up normally to run the command prompt as an admin or into the Advanced Boot options to select Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

If you can, enter chkdsk c: /r and see what that reports - making a note of any KBs in bad sectors.

To return to a normal boot from Safe Mode with Command Prompt, enter shutdown /r /t 00

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Are you able to boot up normally to run the command prompt as an admin or into the Advanced Boot options to select Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

If you can, enter chkdsk c: /r and see what that reports - making a note of any KBs in bad sectors.

To return to a normal boot from Safe Mode with Command Prompt, enter shutdown /r /t 00
    I can do that, and will, but is the problem not likely to be more in the hidden partition than in C:?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK
    ran the chkdsk C: /r

It found nothing; ran very quick (on a reboot as is normal) and reported volume is clean.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If the HDD has bad sectors then that can affect wherever data is stored, but chkdsk c: wouldn't check D: so you could repeat the command as chkdsk d: /r or whatever your Recovery partition letter is in Disk Management.

(Forget that cmd - probably get the error that it cannot open it for direct access).

chkdsk /r doesn't normally run that quick - did it go through the 5 stages and reported 0 KB in bad sectors ?

If you go Start - type diskmgmt.msc and press enter - what does it show for the recovery partition - space used and space free ?

If the DVD drive isn't reading the disk then that could be why it isn't booting up from it or why it seems to work sometimes.

Stick the disk in after you have booted up and run this Fixit. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...problems/en-us

I once had problems where it wouldn't boot up with a disk although was able to read it, but that still required a new disk drive to resolve that.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-09-28 at 19:50.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, so I decided to re-run the chkdsk without doing anything else first, and it is doing it right this time. Don't know why it showed output obviously from it before but really didn't do the tests.

And it is taking a long time!
    No errors found in stage 1-3.
    In 4 now at 14% (slow).

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, it was still in the middle of stage 5, so I started readying for bed. Came back for a last look before hitting the sack, and it is in reboot...did not hold the final status screen. I did see through stage 4 there were no errors....didn't see the end of five as it did not leave it on screen.

Moved into the reboot; it showed briefly the same chkdsk output I described before--the quick one saying no errors--then went on through a normal boot.

I commanded the internal utility for restore again. Same result...moves through a reboot right back into Vista.

Done for the night. The sore on my head from banging the brick wall is beginning to hurt anyway.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Load Macrium Reflect free and attempt to create the backup using that - as a test. You should use an external hard disk not CDs for the media, much faster and saves lots of swapping.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    To read the full chkdsk report, go Start - type eventvwr and press enter.

When it has read the data expand Windows Logs then click on Application/Action/Find and in the Find box type chkdsk or wininit and press enter.

Cancel the Find box then read the report in the scrollable window.

Not sure what's going on with the Recovery partition but it sounds like the disk drive is defective.

It could also be just dirty and getting a disk cleaning kit may help, but see if that MS Fixit can do anything for you as it doesn't appear to recognise when there is a disk in the drive.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Load Macrium Reflect free and attempt to create the backup using that - as a test. You should use an external hard disk not CDs for the media, much faster and saves lots of swapping.
    I have an EaseUs To-Do image backup, but I fail to see how this solves a problem of not able to execute the recovery partition.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am still debating on the fix-it. That article tells you NOTHING about what it is doing/changing, nor how to un-do it if it makes things worse, nor where to go for more info--like a KB.

Also,the description does not seem to apply to my case:
    it says
    "Your CD or DVD Drive does not read or write and is shown as disabled "
    Last edited by movrshakr; 2015-09-29 at 08:51.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Creating an image backup will confirm if the disk is OK.

Do you have an EaseUS boot/recovery CD?
    Does it boot OK?
    Can you read all the partitions on the disk after booting EaseUS?

If you press F10 on boot, will it allow you to choose a boot device?

Can you get to the Factory Recovery option? See this post: https://panam.gateway.com/s/software...418su531.shtml

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "Creating an image backup will confirm if the disk is OK.
    Do you have an EaseUS boot/recovery CD?
    Does it boot OK?"

HAVE NOT MADE ONE ON THAT MACHINE; DO HAVE ON MADE ON DIFFERENT MACHINE.

"Can you read all the partitions on the disk after booting EaseUS?"

"If you press F10 on boot, will it allow you to choose a boot device?"

YES. IT SHOWS THE SAME LIST OF DEFAULTS AS SET IN BIOS...DVD, USB, HD.

"Can you get to the Factory Recovery option? "

PLEASE READ THE PREVIOUS POSTS IN THIS THREAD; THOROUGHLY DESCRIBED. YES CAN GET TO IT. FAILS WHEN EXECUTED.

"See this post: https://panam.gateway.com/s/software...418su531.shtml"

THE F8 MENU DOES NOT CONTAIN 'REPAIR YOUR COMPUTER.'
    F10 PRESENTS DEFAULTS AS SET IN BIOS...DVD, USB, HD.
    LEFT-ALT+F10 PRESENTS DEFAULTS AS SET IN BIOS...DVD, USB, HD. ACCORDING TO MANUAL, LEFT-ALT+F10 SHOULD ALSO EXECUTE RECOVERY.
    Last edited by movrshakr; 2015-09-29 at 09:34.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have another idea...
    is there any way (command line) to change the computer to make the recovery partition be designated as the boot partition?

And how do I recover if that fails?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    A KB is a Kilo Byte and that is what the chkdsk reports as a quantity of bad areas on the HDD.

Creating a system image wouldn't necessarily confirm if the disk drive was okay as there are two sets of lasers - one set for reading and one set for burning and one can go while the other remains serviceable - but you have reported that you are prompted to insert a disk.

That is a typical symptom of a failed disk drive, but it's worth running the Fixit as well as giving it a clean.

As Paul has asked, can it read any disk ?

As I've posted, I experienced where the disk drive could read a disk but not boot up from it.

It is possible to create a bootable USB from a bootable disk, but you would need access to another machine with a known working disk drive and that your computer was able to boot from an USB.

This article describes using Diskpart to do that. http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...thout-Using-A/

That's bad news that Repair your Computer is missing from the F8 menu as it requires a factory reset to reinstate it.

I've also experienced this but I'd created the recovery disks to factory reset with and my disk drive was working.

It sounds like the path to the Recovery partition is also corrupt which is why I have asked you to perform a chkdsk /r should it be due to bad sectors and a failing HDD - but how exactly were you navigating to the RE to use the Recovery partition if Repair your Computer is missing ?

Ideally you should view the chkdsk report in Event Viewer, but you can also run chkdsk without any parameters which is a read-only mode, but will display near the bottom #KB in bad sectors.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast