Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Google Will Target Ads Using Email Addresses

Looks like Google needs more money at our expense. If you think ads are bad now, just wait.
    Online advertising giant Google will soon let marketers target ads to specific people using their email addresses when they use its search engine, Gmail or YouTube video platform.
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/google-w...ses-1443468445

Thanks
    Like many internet giants, as a matter of policy, Google presumes ownership of anything and everything they touch. There's a reason their privacy options are so convoluted and changed so often.

All your data are belong to us.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you are logged into Google when you use it's search, you give them the ability to track you based on your login. That is then used in predictive searching to improve your "search experience" by providing you information based on your past searches. In a way this is what Siri and Cortana also do.

Even if you aren't logged in you will find that you are tracked by your IP and your cookies which are nearly as good. If nothing else, your IP tells them your general area.

The degree to which Google may share this information with advertisers changes with time. The theory is that someone who routinely searches for fishing related information would be more interested in ads for fishing reels than ads for tennis rackets.

None of this should come as a real surprise to anyone here, but it's amazing how oblivious many people are to this. And I doubt that most care as long as they see only the benefits they get from it.

Interweb privacy doesn't exist anymore.
    Last edited by gsmith-plm; 2015-11-12 at 08:31.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    With Google (and others), whatever they offer you for free isn't the product; YOU are the product. The "free" stuff is merely the bait.

One of the ways I shield myself from Google is with searches. I search using startpage.com as my search engine. Startpage strips out all of my identifying info and then feeds my search request to Google. In this way, I get all of the benefits with none of the privacy concerns.

And even if I do a straight-up Google search, I don't have to log into Google in order to do the search. That will keep my email address out of the picture.

Thanks
    I like this idea of startpage.com, but I did a comparison between it and Google on same basic searches. The results are different.

EDIT: I installed it and have removed it already. It is very slow and not as adept as Google, although I still like the concept.
    Last edited by beachboybogart; 2015-11-16 at 11:44.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try DuckDuckGo as a search engine rather than Google.
    https://duckduckgo.com/about
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    With Google (and others), whatever they offer you for free isn't the product; YOU are the product. The "free" stuff is merely the bait.

One of the ways I shield myself from Google is with searches. I search using startpage.com as my search engine. Startpage strips out all of my identifying info and then feeds my search request to Google. In this way, I get all of the benefits with none of the privacy concerns.

And even if I do a straight-up Google search, I don't have to log into Google in order to do the search. That will keep my email address out of the picture.
    What does enhanced mean??Untitled.jpg
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by beachboybogart View Post
    I like this idea of startpage.com, but I did a comparison between it and Google on same basic searches. The results are different.
    Of course the results are different but they might just be in a different order. Google searches are weighted by your previous search history and cookie content, etc., see #3

Thanks
    Well, sure, but if startpage is just stripping out identifiers, then I would expect to see the same results (other than the ad-supported answer at the top). Or maybe it's the identifiers being taken out that causes the difference.

Thanks
    I'm glad to have something that tries to restore at least a little privacy to my life. Google and Startpage are like the opposite extremes -- Google tries to get as much of your private info as they can; Startpage tries to protect as much of my privacy as they can.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    What does enhanced mean??Untitled.jpg
    Enhanced?

jwoods
    uBlock Origin does a pretty good job of keeping 3rd-party ads and trackers at bay...

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases

Current release is version 1.33

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by beachboybogart View Post
    Well, sure, but if startpage is just stripping out identifiers, then I would expect to see the same results (other than the ad-supported answer at the top). Or maybe it's the identifiers being taken out that causes the difference.
    Yup that would be my guess, Google offering search results depending on search history.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    Yup that would be my guess, Google offering search results depending on search history.

Which you can disable in your Google account settings...

https://history.google.com/history/?utm_source=sidenav
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-11-17 at 17:04.

Thanks
    Enhanced?
    oops wrong image
    Untitled.png

See the enhanced with google on the right of the search bar? The images come up so small I could not even tell I had the wrong one. I have set the folder I upload from to show extra large icon, hopefully I will not repeat my mistake.

David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast