Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Microsoft - Privacy and Windows 10

A blog post from Terry Myerson, the head of Windows development - Privacy and Windows 10.

Joe

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

GJM22182 (2015-10-08)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    For years I have killed apps that 'phone home' to verify licenses, report errors, collect usage stats, etc. All too often my customers have asked why their PC has become unresponsive with a movable pointer, a dead keyboard and remain that way for minutes to hours. Then work as normal again.

When I have been able to capture process activity prior to this 'alive, but unresponsive state', the cause is some app with proper digital signatures(from MS, HP or other well known entity) locking up the PC for unknown purposes with no advance warning. The offending app is a 'customer/application experience', usage collection, or error reporting app with the best of intentions and unwanted results.

I understand that community supplied data is a great way to improve a system/printer/program and that updates are a good thing. I cannot accept the high frequency of execution where some tasks run on the hour for the entire life of a PC. Updates to printer drivers or connected devices can be checked monthly.

Collecting data on internet usage by a printer manufacturer goes a bit too far when the occasion to web print may be needed once a week or month or never. Personal information aside, frequent consuming of bandwidth and/or CPU cycles for low value and low frequency activities is overkill and should not be tolerated.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry davekayll

Quote Originally Posted by GJM22182 View Post
    For years I have killed apps that 'phone home' to verify licenses, report errors, collect usage stats, etc. All too often my customers have asked why their PC has become unresponsive with a movable pointer, a dead keyboard and remain that way for minutes to hours. Then work as normal again.

When I have been able to capture process activity prior to this 'alive, but unresponsive state', the cause is some app with proper digital signatures(from MS, HP or other well known entity) locking up the PC for unknown purposes with no advance warning. The offending app is a 'customer/application experience', usage collection, or error reporting app with the best of intentions and unwanted results.

I understand that community supplied data is a great way to improve a system/printer/program and that updates are a good thing. I cannot accept the high frequency of execution where some tasks run on the hour for the entire life of a PC. Updates to printer drivers or connected devices can be checked monthly.

Collecting data on internet usage by a printer manufacturer goes a bit too far when the occasion to web print may be needed once a week or month or never. Personal information aside, frequent consuming of bandwidth and/or CPU cycles for low value and low frequency activities is overkill and should not be tolerated.
    Been there myself disks thrashing bandwith taken over and cpu working overtime and me just watching.

Thanks
    <pXc-coding's DoNotSpy10
    DoNotSpy10 is the world’s first antispy tool for Windows 10. Its straight-forward user interface allows you to manage
    how Windows 10 respects their privacy. Microsoft introduces many new “diagnostic” features with Windows 10. These services help Microsoft collect
    usage data and thus to provide a better service. However, collecting and sharing your data with one of the world’s leading technology companies
    puts your privacy at risk. There are services which are able to record your keyboard input, your speech and any other actions of the user. Others share
    your WiFi credentials with your contact or connect you to networks shared by your contacts.
    An interesting app that I've been using for the past couple of months now, it places a multitude of option settings in an
    easy to use all in one user interface.
    Be warned though, it does use ads in it's free version, and you'll have to pay close attention to additional installs, but
    I have determined them to be benign and easily removed.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davekayll View Post
    Been there myself disks thrashing bandwith taken over and cpu working overtime and me just watching.
    It is not telemetry doing that. You have a more serious problem.