New Lounger
    Thanks

Legacy 8.0 won't start up on Win 8.1

The following message appears.
    "Error opening message file
    ActiveX component can't create object"

Exhausted Legacy help, Removed legacy, cleaned Registry of all references.
    Legacy claim that this problem doesn't occur in Win 8.1 Right!
    Anyone solved it? The problem that is.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    According to their website it runs on 8 and 10. https://www.legacyfamilytree.com/Fre...20requirements

ActiveX only runs in Internet Explorer and the error message implies either the browser won't run the component or the "message file" is in a location that cannot be accessed.
    Check that ActiveX is enabled in IE.
    Check your AV isn't blocking the ActiveX component.
    See this page for other ActiveX issues: http://support.legacyfamilytree.com/...-problems.html
    Check the location of your data files is read/write.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your response Paul, but unfortunately this problem has gone way beyond what you are suggesting. In googling the problem, it is obvious that it is a common occurrence, not necessarily of legacy's doing, but I am now only interested if someone can come up with a definite fix. I am very soon to change programs, as this one seems unfixable, definitely a PIB. And legacy are NOT interested.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm running Win10 Upgraded from Win8.1 on a 64-bit computer. I just downloaded the free version of Legacy 8.0.0.518 and installed it without issues. It opened the sample file and appeared to work fine. I probably will get the paid-for version as lots of features are not available in the free version [quite understandable]. I used Firefox for the download and after opening Legacy at no time did Internet Explorer come into play.

Thanks
    Perhaps you could try running Legacy in a virtual machine (e.g. VirtualBox). You would need an operating system (Windows 7, Windows 8, etc) to install into the virtual machine; you could then install Legacy in the virtual machine.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your help.
    Yes, that would work fine. I am running Legacy on another Win machine, it works fine.
    But I want Legacy to run on this specific machine under Win8.1.
    This is a known problem on certain machines. Legacy works fine until something gets off the track, ActiveX seems to figure in this, and Legacy does relate to Iexplore.
    Specifically I am only interested in hearing from someone who has solved this problem on a Win8.1 machine, all else is fluff.

Thanks again.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebenezer678 View Post
    But I want Legacy to run on this specific machine under Win8.1.
    Guess I didn't mention I had Legacy 8 on the Win8.1 I had Upgraded to Win10 and followed that by installing the latest Legacy.

Not knowing anything about that "specific machine" I would only be guessing it has an Intel CPU in it. My computer has an AMD CPU and Add-in video card, not onboard/built-in video adapter. My response was to help you in diagnosing what to eliminate but I see that was not received in the spirit of free help. Take it to a shop.