Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned Member
    Thanks

Win10 Crazy Growth

Thanks
    Amazing the response you can get when you give away something for free....

The same thing happens with Apple's IOS updates

Jerry

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Amazing the response you can get when you give away something for free....

The same thing happens with Apple's IOS updates

Jerry
    Reminder:

It is only free to 7 & 8.1 owners for a limited time. Ergo, that cannot be used to go very far towards explaining the massive and rapid adoption.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Reminder:

It is only free to 7 & 8.1 owners for a limited time. Ergo, that cannot be used to go very far towards explaining the massive and rapid adoption.
    You expect the adoption rate to continue when people have to pay for it?

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    You expect the adoption rate to continue when people have to pay for it?
    They already do have to pay for it unless they are current 7 or 8.1 owners & that segment doesn't & can't (begin to) account for the massive & rapid adoption. Will it stay as strong after 28/9/16? no, it will drop off some, but, still remain strong, as the years pass... there are several factors, cycles & continuums contributing besides, the limited time free Upgrade for 7s & 8.1s, exclusively. People won't stop buying the software or loaded computers just because they have to pay for same. People buy lots of things even though they have to pay for them.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    For me, the "free" explains most if not ALL the increased users over Win 7 and 8 for comparable timeframes. Free for a year; not two months, still have about 83.3% of that one year timeframe available yet. Even on Mercury, the planet with the shortest year (in Earth days), we would still have about 30% of the free upgrade time available yet.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2015-10-01 at 00:42.

Thanks
    Windows 10 market share is now 7% while Windows 8 is around 12 % and Windows 7 is stll around 55%.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10..._installed_it/

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I disagree that free is the key factor driving adoption rates. My assessment is that free is #4 in importance:

1). Microsoft made it easy to upgrade and hard to forget. By integrating the upgrade with the patch system Microsoft has made this the most accessible Windows upgrade ever. Never underestimate the power of easy in commerce, Amazon is built on that;
    2). Windows 10 got plenty of positive reviews and lots of "key adopter" support. Transparency during the development and test cycle bought them some much-needed goodwill;
    3). Windows 8 wasn't very popular and this means pent-up demand. Much like the drubbing Vista got which built up demand for Windows 7;
    4). Free. Which doesn't mean as much these days since lots of people (home users, small business) got used to only buying Windows with a new PC.

Thanks
    I have to wonder if that is world wide numbers. I would have thought a lot of Asian countries would still be on the hackable XP. I guess W7 was hacked too.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    I know this is really going to disappoint Drew but IMHO I'm really not that impressed with Win 10 over Win 7 "so far". I realize that there is more to come and hopefully it will make it more impressive.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    I know this is really going to disappoint Drew but IMHO I'm really not that impressed with Win 10 over Win 7 "so far". I realize that there is more to come and hopefully it will make it more impressive.
    Windows 10 market share is now 7% while Windows 8 is around 12 %, Jerry
    My whimsical prediction is 10 will be well past Win8.1 by or before the end of 2015.

'L95'. If one compares OS to OS per se it's not quite fair... it leaves a lot of what is Win10 missed, neglected or unappreciated. They may seem similar in some ways, to some extent, on the surface But, the reality is Win10 is SO much more than & on many levels. And in the grand scheme of things & thinking broadly & long-term, @ this point in time being on Win10 makes a lot of sense compared to using 7 or 8.1, for that matter.

'BHarder', you have made some excellent & logical points.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BHarder View Post
    I disagree that free is the key factor driving adoption rates. My assessment is that free is #4 in importance:

1). Microsoft made it easy to upgrade and hard to forget. By integrating the upgrade with the patch system Microsoft has made this the most accessible Windows upgrade ever. Never underestimate the power of easy in commerce, Amazon is built on that;
    2). Windows 10 got plenty of positive reviews and lots of "key adopter" support. Transparency during the development and test cycle bought them some much-needed goodwill;
    3). Windows 8 wasn't very popular and this means pent-up demand. Much like the drubbing Vista got which built up demand for Windows 7;
    4). Free. Which doesn't mean as much these days since lots of people (home users, small business) got used to only buying Windows with a new PC.
    I think it's more about the adoption rate being discussed right? Those points may be right in the long run, but over the short run rate it's number 1 and 4 in concert. Consider every license going out at a $120 or even discounted to $40 again, who would be ponying up right off the bat? Before an effective SP1 and when Win 7 is serving so well.? Even an ardent despiser of W8 such as I has it tamed, mostly (and besides, the upgrade has never been offered to date on my system).

I don't think there is any elevation in the adoption rate if it's not free. It's been discussed extensively on Windows Weekly that Microsoft is pulling out all the stops to make W10 the most quickly adopted OS in history and that is propelled by two major differences from past campaigns; delivery as an update upgrade and free. By that we may establish that one wouldn't work without the other, but which of those two in isolation then is the more important factor? For me it's a no-brainer, update upgrade at cost for a Win 7 system is a potential PR disaster (a little less so for W8 (unless one actually likes W8(~shudder~)))...free makes me think twice, maybe three times, then if it doesn't work...well, I guess I got what I paid for, I'll either go back to W7 or try a refresh of some sort.

Despite W8, Microsoft is full of very smart people who have thought this thing through long before this discussion. It's just a given that W10 has to pass muster or they are hurting big time.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2015-10-06 at 22:52.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    If it's free must be rubbish doesn't apply here. #1 it is NOT free. It just has a limited-time offer for SOME Users. 2ndly, it does work, quite well & nicely, actually. It helps if one accepts that a lot more has changed @ MS besides a new computing platform. Not only are things surrounding the OS vastly different from the past but, the attitude, approach & philosophy @ MS is vastly different from the past, as well.

And btw, reminder, there are no (more) Service Packs w/ Windows 10. And no more Operating Systems, either. (no 11 or 12, etc.)

There is no need to keep waiting for it on your system... can use The Media Creation Tool & have Win10 w/out further delay.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Who said if it's free if must be rubbish? I can't find that just on a quick look here.

Also, I don't think anything you just said is "selling" the OS right now as all the insiders have probably decided by now and it actually is FREE to qualifying upgraders.

Now if you can provide data on folks purchasing W10 who were not in need of a new computer/tablet anyway that might prove most enlightening. I would stand by whatever reliable data there was on that.

I'm also sad because my logic didn't get a hiddy-ho there good neighbor. :'s
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2015-10-07 at 06:29.

Thanks
    If someone could break out actual new sales of Windows 10 only (meaning the OS only, not preinstalled on a new PC) that adoption rate would be rather mundane.

...just sayin'
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast