New Lounger
    Thanks

Did upgrading to Windows 10 deactivate Microsoft Office 2013?

I purchased a computer with Windows 8 on it 2 years ago. Since then I have been using Microsoft Office 2013 with no problems. I upgraded to Windows 10 and in the past month I have been receiving count down messages when I use Word that my product is set to expire in xxxx of days. Today it expired and Word now only works as a read only program. I tried to reactivate it but I received a notification saying I needed the product key. I don't have the product key. In a conversation I had with Microsoft (in which they said there was nothing they could do), they suggested I contact HP, the maker of my PC, to see if they had the product key since I know I did NOT purchase a subscription (there is no record of it in my Microsoft account) and I don't remember downloading or installing Office at the time I set up my computer.

I called HP and with my product information, they confirmed that indeed, Windows and Office came pre-installed. HP offered to retrieve the product key on my computer for me for $99. They also said that Windows 10 had caused Office 2013 to be deactivated.

I did a search and found a tool to retrieve my product keys. Two keys were found for Windows 10 and for Windows OEM. The key for Windows OEM didn't work and I received a message from Microsoft saying that: The Product Key entered was not recognized as a valid Product Key. Please check the characters entered and try again. You may need to use www.office.com/setup instead to download your new Office product. Or you may be entering a Product Key for an older version of Office that uses a different download site. If you need further assistance, please contact support to get additional information.

I contacted Microsoft Tech help again with my new information and they said I need to contact Microsoft Office Help. I did and I re-explained the problem to them. They said I should contact HP. When I asked if there was anything else I could do there was a long wait and then the call terminated (I was hung up on.).

At one point it was suggested that the problem was related to a problem with the upgrade process not with Windows 10 itself. I did have problems upgrading and had to contact Microsoft to upgrade a second time.

Is there anything else I can do to get my Office 2013 back?

Thanks for any suggestions or help in advance.
    Last edited by ConnieLO; 2015-10-01 at 00:51. Reason: change did to did NOT

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd call Microsoft Office back AGAIN and insist on speaking to a supervisor and relate the full story.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kweaver For This Useful Post:

ConnieLO (2015-10-01)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I also posted this question on the Microsoft forum and they suggested I had a trial copy of Office 2013/Office 365 and was using it for 2 years. They said they had heard of some trial copies not expiring and the users were just lucky to be able to continue to use them after they should have expired.

I may just try calling again, maybe the 5th time will be the charm!

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    You're one of many unfortunates who have had their Office installations deactivated or otherwise corrupted by a Win 10 'upgrade'. There are many threads on the MS Answers forums about this kind of thing. I doubt you'd have had a trial copy of Office 2013 that would work un-registered/activated for 2 years. Unfortunately, there also doesn't seem to be any software that can recover Office 2013 keys from a failed upgrade. That said, if it's less than a month since the upgrade, you should be able to roll it back to the Windows 8 OS, in which case Office should be restored to full working order.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

6. The Following User Says Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

ConnieLO (2015-10-10)

Thanks
    Yes, this happened to me when I upgraded to Windows 10. I simply clicked on "activate" and all was back to normal. (My Office 2013 (32-bit) installation was/is purchased and legal!)
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to petesmst For This Useful Post:

ConnieLO (2015-10-10)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately I was more than a month since the upgrade....by about two weeks. Too bad this wasn't suggested to me by the people answering the Microsoft Help chat line. I called three times and got no where, they just kept telling me that my subscription must have expired (I never bought one.). If I had known that this would have happened, I never would have upgraded. There was a warning that upgrading might cause issues, but I assumed it was for other programs, not for another Microsoft product. I did not like how Windows 8 functioned and installed Classic Shell to use it so I upgraded, hoping those problems would be resolved. This has been an expensive lesson as I ended up purchasing Word. I am working on a joint project and needed Word (there were problems using Open Office). I would love to complain to Microsoft about this, especially since I am not the only one to have experienced this problem. Do you think it would do any good?