Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MS IE support ending Jan. 12, 2016 for several IE versions

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09...oms_microsoft/

Move to the latest IE, or suck it: January’s cold comfort for Microsoft hangouts

by Gavin Clarke
    The Register
    Sept. 30, 2015

The start of 2016 is crunch time if you’re running legacy Microsoft browsers. From January 12, 2016, a huge swath of Internet Explorer versions will no longer get security fixes or updates from Microsoft.

IE 8, 9 and IE 10 on Windows 7 SP1 will all slip out of extended support. Microsoft will only support IE9 on Vista SP2, 11 on Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1

Of course, Microsoft doesn’t actually want you on IE9 or 10, either. The real target is IE11, which runs on Windows 7, 8.1 and 10.... [continue reading at above link]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There are at least a dozen posts on this Title about the many problems with IE 11 and Win 7 and even Win 8! I just updated from IE 9 to IE 10 earlier this year. I planned to stay with IE 10 as long as possible mainly because of these reports of troubles with IE 11. I've been told that they have fixed the problems with IE 11, but I'm staying with IE 10 until I absolutely must update to IE 11.

Thanks
    Just as a FYI, I have not experienced any problems with IE 11 on either Windows 10 or Windows 7. I expect that a large number of IE problems are caused by add ons or malware.

Jerry

Thanks
    I second Jerry's post. No problems with IE 11 on W10 or W7.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, that is good to know.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've experienced IE has stopped working on both IE10 and 11 in Win 7 but found it occurred usually when after I had created a Hyperlink and/or closing down multiple windows after no longer needing them.

This seemed to go through a phase and then cleared up on its own, but there have been a couple of isolated instances recently in IE11 that didn't apply to either.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't had any problems with IE10 on my Win 7, but then I don't use it as my main browser. I use Firefox. I hid IE11 back when it came as an optional part of Windows update, and did the same with IE10 previously. I have had a few problems with some websites using FF that I had no problems at all with using IE9 at the time. Thanks for that info. Sudo15.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    IE11 did have a few issues when the call center had no choice but to upgraded from IE8 to IE11 (when I was working a year ago that is). Yes; initially had a few issues but they were patched. I also used IE11 in my Win7 machine (before it died) then when my new machine (Win8.1) after that with no issues. Admit I didn't use IE11 much since I mainly play in my VM. Edge has been an OK browser as well; no issues but there may be some lack of features since some things like, I believe Java, are not supported if I recall.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The only problem I've had with IE11 has been intermittent hanging with more than ten tabs open and six or seven applications running (Outlook is a constant), although recently I'm seeing that it doesn't appear to be IE, I think it's actually Windows itself (Win7 Pro x64 SP1, fully patched, i7, 8GB, 450GB SSD / 100GB free). If I use Task Manager to kill the explorer process (not iexplorer), then use New Task to restart it, everything comes back to life. Since IE11 keeps each page in its own memory space, it makes sense that if all of IE hangs, then it's probably not IE that's the problem.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was going to say I don't see problems with IE 11, but that's not actually true. I do see problems but they aren't crippling and they aren't much different from those I've seen with every browser I've ever used.

Presently I have issues with browser slowness. However that's a larger systems problem and I suspect security software is the culprit, in whole or in part.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've already run into a Microsoft page that wouldn't work with IE11, worked fine with Edge. But then there's always been some Microsoft pages that wouldn't work with other browsers such as Firefox and Safari.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BHarder View Post
    I was going to say I don't see problems with IE 11, but that's not actually true. I do see problems but they aren't crippling and they aren't much different from those I've seen with every browser I've ever used.

Presently I have issues with browser slowness. However that's a larger systems problem and I suspect security software is the culprit, in whole or in part.
    Clearing the temp Internet cache with something like the free version of CCleaner could help with a slow browser, but to eliminate 3rd party security software as the cause, see if you have the same problem when booted up into Safe Mode with Networking.

Sometimes clearing the SSL state can help, which is done through Tools/Internet options/Content and clicking on the button.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

BHarder (2015-10-14)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried the Safe Mode with Networking idea, and indeed it was faster. I took no measurements but I made sure to give it a good long test run. Not ideally zippy but overall responsiveness was improved across the board.

Of course it's not a normal running mode and cannot be a solution on it's own. It was hard to go back to a lower screen resolution and I lost the use of my external monitor. Fortunately the external mouse and keyboard was supported.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    So which AV program are you using ?

It could also be some other 3rd party program that you have installed and running in a clean boot may ID that.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/929135

A Pro AV program may reinsert itself as Norton 360 and Bitdefender does when you uncheck their boxes under either the Startup or Services tabs, but I've learned recently that this doesn't apply to some freebies, but leaving the AV program enabled and the rest of the Startup items and non-MS services disabled to see if browsing is still slow should nail it or not to the AV program.

One other thing that can cause a lag in browsing is when the SNR Margin drops quite low, which is usually at peak times or during the evening - but this is also dependent upon whether the router can handle those drops.

I have a router where that occurs when the SNR Margin drops to 0.4 but another router doesn't even flacker when it is down to 0.1 which I only found out by chance when I happened to log into that router.

This obviously isn't your problem but something else to keep in mind and usually a reboot of the router or changing channels can help.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So which AV program are you using ?
    It's a comprehensive anti-malware and security solution. We use a combination of Symantec Endpoint Protection and Symantec Endpoint Encryption. SEP can be turned off (at least I think it's off) with the whole "Safe Mode with Networking" approach.

SEE cannot be turned off because it's running whole disk encryption and the drivers for that load even before Windows does. And if you ever did manage to turn SEE off, well your entire local volume(s) would be gibberish and unusable except as a doorstop. Which was and is the entire design and goal of SEE.

This laptop does have another issue which might be relevant. It's slower than my old laptop and the Hibernate function is notably slow, neither of which should be happening. Might be related, or not, it hasn't been possible to tell yet. Tech support has suggested a BIOS update so we'll see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast