New Lounger
    Thanks

Could Lenovo Computers Contain Spyware?

I need to buy a new laptop computer and had pretty much decided on Lenovo.

But last night it occurred to me that if the Chinese government wanted to steal trade secrets, putting spyware into Lenovo computers would be a great way to do it.

I see from a web search that Lenovo has been caught putting tracking software on their computers three times this year so that does not give me great confidence. That was easy to detect but a rootkit would be harder to detect.

Am I paranoid or could this be happening?

Thanks
    There is no way in he!! I would buy a Lenovo. They have already been caught once with spyware in them and all reports that I have read say that there is now a different one. But at this point, since they can hack everything we have with ease, does it matter anymore.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bfulks View Post
    But last night it occurred to me that if the Chinese government wanted to steal trade secrets, putting spyware into Lenovo computers would be a great way to do it..
    [...]
    Am I paranoid or could this be happening?
    Yes to your first question!

It would be so much more effective to put spyware in the routers produced by several Chinese manufacturers - or, for that matter, American manufacturers, or those from any other country.
    Look what a previously highly-respected German car manufacturer has been caught doing!

Lenovo business laptops are solid, dependable creatures whose parentage is the IBM Thinkpad, and we buy second-hand ones in preference to all others.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Lenovo business laptops are solid, dependable creatures whose parentage is the IBM Thinkpad, and we buy second-hand ones in preference to all others.
    Although I don't have any plans to buy a laptop anytime soon, it's nice to know that the older IBM Thinkpads are still well thought of. I have a 2003 IBM T-40 with the docking station and a good battery. I have Win XP Pro on it and I and my wife still use it and like it a lot.
    Last edited by CEScott; 2015-10-02 at 16:46.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If the hardware is what you want then I'd buy one. You can check for Superfish by following the links at this site, but Lenovo say they have removed it.
    If there is more dodgy software on the PCs I'm sure we'll soon know - there will be plenty of additional scrutiny for a while.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    If the hardware is what you want then I'd buy one. You can check for Superfish by following the links at this site, but Lenovo say they have removed it.
    They didn't install Superfish on their business laptops, I'm pleased to say (and, yes, I did check ours!).
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    The hardware is usually very good but, for the reasons mentioned here, I most likely would not buy one.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    If there is more dodgy software on the PCs I'm sure we'll soon know - there will be plenty of additional scrutiny for a while.
    Apparently, even their business laptops do a lot of (Windows 10-style) usage tracking:

Now It’s THREE Pre-Installed Malwares on Lenovo Laptops

Lenovo collects usage data on ThinkPad, ThinkCentre and ThinkStation PCs

Lenovo systems may include software components that communicate with servers on the internet - All ThinkCentre, All ThinkStation, All ThinkPad

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hmm! Maybe there is equivalent hardware from other manufacturers?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I need to buy a new laptop computer and had pretty much decided on Lenovo.

But last night it occurred to me that if the Chinese government wanted to steal trade secrets, putting spyware into Lenovo computers would be a great way to do it.
    It would also be an excellent way to destroy your business too.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.