Thread: CNYHKey.exe

New Lounger
    Thanks

CNYHKey.exe

Can anyone tell me if C:\Windows\CNYHKey.exe is safe? Apparently it has been on my computer since 2009 but recently Windows Essentials Security has started to repeatedly question if I want to send it to Microsoft for evaluation. I did once, but since then I just ignore it. Online there is no agreement about it. It seems to be a Creative Multimedia Driver from Creative. It used to be called mHotkey.res. What should I do with it?

Thanks,
    Glory

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    A Google brought up a number of articles but from these two, I would leave it if it isn't causing any problems.

http://www.file.net/process/cnyhkey.exe.html

http://exe.paretologic.com/detail.php/cnyhkey

Thanks
    Most likely it's the executable file for the process used to scan additional keys on certain multimedia keyboards, e.g. re-badged HP keyboards originally manufactured by Chicony. I've run into it before many years ago with wireless keyboards and mice included with HP PCs.

For peace of mind you could do one or all of these:

1. Right-click on the C:\Windows\CNYHKey.exe file and choose Properties.
    2. Click on the Details tab and check whether the File description or Copyright info mentions Chicony.

and/or

1. Visit VirusTotal.com and upload the C:\Windows\CNYHKey.exe file to it for scanning.

and/or

1. Close the CNYHKey.exe process (if running) using Task Manager then see if any 'special' keys on your keyboard have stopped working. (The same goes for any mouse with additional 'special' functions.)

If you don't have a keyboard (or mouse) with additional 'special' functions then it's more than likely you don't need C:\Windows\CNYHKey.exe running from startup. Let us know how you get on and we can advise further.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-10-04 at 18:05.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks so much. I will check out both suggestions.
    Glory