New Lounger
    Thanks

Nvidia Graphics Card not properly recognised

I have an nVidia 7600 GS graphics card. Although MS claim this is not compatible with Windows 10, many people report using it successfully. Since the Get Windows 10 app refuses to upgrade with an incompatible card, I used the Media Creation Tool for a clean install.

At first Win10 did not recognize the card. However I downloaded the latest driver (309.08), installed and rebooted. Now Device Manager shows the correct card, but with a warning triangle. I ran driver update from Device Manager and pointed it at the correct folder. It reported the driver was up to date.

nVidia Desktop Settings reports that I don't have an nVidia GPU (despite apparently loading the correct drivers!)

I have tried Disabling and Uninstalling the card several times, but the problem persists.

What I don't understand is how the card is recognized by Windows and by nVidia setup, but DevMan reports a problem and nVidia control panel can't see it.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. (And yes, I would consider buying a new card - but will that one work?)

Thanks
    It's probably using windows drivers for video and not the NVIDIA drivers. In other words, you are not getting the full benefit of the NVIDIA drivers.
    I looked up your card and driver ( 309.08 ) and win 10 is not listed as supported. That is an older card so NVIDIA may not update drivers for that card.
    Google, nVidia 7600 GS and you will see what I mean. I suggest you start looking for a supported card.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Alternatively, stick to your old OS until you replace your hardware.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks

Probably need new card!

Thanks guys - I knew it was a risk ignoring the warning, but I have a speed gain with Windows 10, since it's a bit lighter on resources. In fact, I wouldn't be bothered about the graphics drivers (I don't do gaming or video editing) except that the Windows Basic Display Adapter only has 4:3 aspect ratio and I have a 16:9 widescreen monitor. At the moment everything is stretched sideways!

Since I can pick up a newer nvidia card for 30-40, I'll probably just upgrade.

Thanks

Steven

Thanks
    And that might give a little speed bump too
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Does the card actually function? If so, forget about what device manager says.

If the card is not too old, there will be a better than average chance that a driver will rectify this.
    If the card is not too new, and your motherboard is also not new enough to recieve firmware updates (BIOS),
    then you will likely be stuck with what you have currently.

Just because others have reported a working card does not automatically transfer the same to you.
    There will be considerable variation amung systems of other people with the same card.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Poor internal communications in Wimdows10!

Hi Clint

The issue seems to be that, whilst Device Manager correctly displays the name of the card, Windows still treats it as an unknown. Right clicking the desktop and working my way through to Advanced Graphics Properties, and opening up the Properties dialog reveals that Windows has installed the Windows Basic Display Driver. And Nvidia Control Panel cannot see the correct card either.

Is there something lingering in the registry that's blocking the identification? Who knows?

I managed to persuade the PC to restart in Safe Mode (no mean feat in Win10!) but couldn't get into device manager. That was my last ditch effort to remove all traces of the card before rebooting, hoping that it would pop up with the correct drivers.

Everything else is working fine except an old Samsung networked laser printer, which is invisible to Windows 10. But then, Windows and network devices have always been a problem!

Anyway, thanks for your advice. When the budget allows, I'll put a new graphics card in.

Steven

New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Read the small print!

A more careful reading of the messages in Device Manager reveals a Code 12 - which suggests a conflict with another device. Unfortunately, DevMgr does not tell me which resources the card is requesting, so I don't know how to rectify the problem. Various posts on Technet suggest uninstalling various system devices, including Motherboard Resources and AMD 3GIO filter (which I don't have).

Other issues suggested are insufficient display memory allocated in the BIOS.

Maybe on a quiet day I might try these fixes.

Thanks
    Maybe on a quiet day I might try these fixes.
    Have fun. If it were me, I would just get a supported card and be done with it.
    Good luck