Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access/XP on W10?

Just installed my old Access/XP onto my new W10 desktop.

When I click on the Access tile in my W10 Start I get a warning:

Capture.PNG

When I click "OK", I get this:

Capture1.PNG

Immediately thereafter (without me clicking a second time), Access opens and runs fine.

How can I get rid of the 2 warnings?

Thanks much for any help!

Alan

Thanks
    I do not believe you would get a tile for an older normal style program, that would be a MS come on. Notice the Office 10 in the popup. I don't have 10 running at the moment and can't remember the exact way to get there. However if you go to the actual executable file you should be able to run it.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

AlanB1 (2015-10-06)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    A problem does exist with older programs and their .hlp files, support for the format doesn't exist in Win10 and probably Win8.0/8.1 and Win7. I haven't checked but believe there was a fix for Win7 to allow viewing .hlp files.

I found some pages about it:
    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=view+.hlp+files
    Last edited by Berton; 2015-10-04 at 18:00.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

AlanB1 (2015-10-06)

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    According to Microsoft, Office 2003 & earlier are all incompatible with Win 10. See also: http://www.keynotesupport.com/window...ty-chart.shtml
    Although you may be able to get XP running, doing so may expose your system to security flaws in the product that haven't been fixed since it went out of support.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

7. The Following User Says Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

AlanB1 (2015-10-06)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi All,

Thank you all very much for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated!

Despite those 2 "warnings", my database opens and works just fine (after the Warnings which I ignore).

I guess I'll just continue to ignore the Warnings.

(After I posted here, I found this on the "1706 warning": http://https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/297834 but I'm afraid the solution exceeds my understanding and I can't tell if it even applies here).

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanB1 View Post
    (After I posted here, I found this on the "1706 warning": http://https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/297834 but I'm afraid the solution exceeds my understanding and I can't tell if it even applies here).
    Your link has too many characters, try this:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/297834

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

AlanB1 (2015-10-06)

Thanks
    Try stating Access directly by right-clicking and select run as administrator. This will set some registry key. Exit Access. Launch as normal. That may fix the error messages.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach (Access Information here)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    "If technology doesn't work for people, then it doesn't work."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HiTechCoach For This Useful Post:

AlanB1 (2015-10-06)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HiTechCoach View Post
    Try stating Access directly by right-clicking and select run as administrator. This will set some registry key. Exit Access. Launch as normal. That may fix the error messages.
    Thanks, but unfortunately that had no effect here.

Thanks anyway,

Alan

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Your link has too many characters, try this:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/297834
    Thank you.

I've read that article several times, but I'm afraid it may be beyond me. I am retired and have a standalone desktop at home.

I am not part of an enterprise so it seems (incorrectly???) that the only option that I can use is the last one ("Use a CD-ROM for the Office Source Location"). I may be mistaken here, but it seems that option would require me to use the CD every time I use Access. Am I missing something (likely!)?

Thank you for your time and help.

Alan

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dredging back into my memory, I recall warnings like this cropping up, even on supported systems.
    The installation program has numerous options for each component, including "run from CD" and "install on first use".
    If either of these is used anywhere then Access might be checking for the CD either in case it might be needed or because some component is not yet installed.
    You might find it by rerunning the setup program and going through all the options, making sure none are like this.

It is possible that the some required part is installed, but Win 10 is making it look like it is not - in which case you might be stuck with an annoying but harmless problem.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cameron For This Useful Post:

AlanB1 (2015-10-10)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The first message box is basically saying there's a component,(or components) of Windows XP that is/are required to install/run Office XP. And it/they don't exist 'cause your OS is Win10, NOT XP.

The second message box is giving some hints as to the location of the help file, which may solve the problem. However, in this case the help file is irrelevant, 'cause you're not going to get the required files (the XP files) in Windows 10. Therefore some solution is required to convince Office XP it's running on what it thinks is Windows XP.

Have you tried to run Access.exe under Compatibility Mode? Or even the whole setup process (setup.exe file) on the CDROM when you install OfficeXP?

Find the access.exe - or whatever it's called - in Program Files/Microsoft Office/wherever, right-click it and choose the Troubleshoot Compatibility option. Use the Windows XP mode and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, you might try uninstalling office, rebooting, then finding the setup.exe file on the installation media - cdrom, usb or wherever - and do the same thing with Troubleshoot Compatibility.

It's worth a try.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to irjc For This Useful Post:

AlanB1 (2015-10-10)

Thanks
    This may help: Program Compatibility Troubleshooter in Windows 10 / 8 / 7

If you hardware supports visualization and you have the Windows XP CD and key then I would recommend setting up a Virtual Machine with Windows XP. Install Office XP (2002) on the VM. I fidn this works best. I currently do this for many older programs.

When you installed Office XP (2002) did you run the setup as administrator?

If you have the disk space, I like to copy the CD to my hard drive or external USB drive and install from there. I also like to do a custom install and select everything to be installed.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach (Access Information here)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    "If technology doesn't work for people, then it doesn't work."

20. The Following User Says Thank You to HiTechCoach For This Useful Post:

AlanB1 (2015-10-10)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Cameron, irjc, and HiTechCoach! I appreciate your help and time.

I tried this AM to use Compatibility Mode but I must've worn out the CD because the drive just spins endlessly (other CDs work fine). I did try cleaning it, but that didn't help. I need to call the MSFT Replacement Center to see if somehow I can get a replacement CD.

I will update this thread if I can get a replacement, otherwise I guess I'll give up.

Thanks again,

Alan

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't believe this is a Microsoft "come on". This is a low-level technical error and nothing more. The error message (second one, not the first) refers to a folder location for Office 10. This is actually correct for the internal versioning for Microsoft Office. Microsoft always marketed this suite as Office XP but the internal major version was 10.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...crosoft_Office

I remember long ago, Microsoft had this grand plan for "incremental, real-time installs". The concept was to make features appear in the software that weren't there (yet). You'd click on them and the software would install them on the spot. It was all an effort to save disk space (I think). I also remember thinking "well this is a bad idea!" The problem I foresaw was that ordinary users wouldn't have the install media available to install the missing feature, for any of a thousand different reasons.

Well guess what has happened now?

Having said all that, this Office suite is 14 years old now. Software tends to get creaky and old. You won't get support for this version anymore so that leaves you with few options.

Your big advantage is that the Access program continues to work anyway. If you could get a replacement install disk (garage sale, flea market) you might even be able to fix the error. This isn't something I'd normally recommend but presumably you are a licensed user and so the licensing concern goes away.
    Last edited by macropod; 2015-10-11 at 18:27. Reason: Posts merged