New Lounger
    Thanks

USB/printer connection trouble

I was having some problems with my internet. Felt it might be a virus. Hired a tech to
    go over my computer. When I got it back, I could not get my printer to work. Had a
    printer tech come out. He said he believed the computer and printer were not recognizing
    each other. Probably a USB connection problem, he was unsure. He did not know how
    to fix it. I have Windows 8.1, use mostly I.E. but have Chrome. The printer is a commercial
    printer by Ricoh, a three in one.
    Anyone had a problem like this before? Or know where to go to get help......I do not!
    Seems like the techs do not either, as I have re-consulted the computer tech also. I just am
    not in a position to keep hiring techs who know nothing.
    I suppose I could hire Dell to go over my computer, but I wonder if they got me in my
    original computer trouble when I called them for assistance with their telephone support.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Which version of Windows? Check Control Panel, System for that. Also check whether 32-bit or 64-bit.

Does it have USB 3.0 ports on it? Check Device Manager for that. I have seen an issue with older printers and USB 3.0 ports that were cleared up simply by plugging the USB cable into a USB 2.0 port. If it's supposed to have USB 3.0 ports [usually blue] is software/drivers still installed for them?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Did either of the techs reinstall the printer drivers ?

In Win 8.1's equivalent of Devices and Printers, right click on the Network printer icon and make that the default, but you can also right click on the printer icon and select Troubleshoot.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wwdovew View Post
    Had a printer tech come out. He said he believed the computer and printer were not recognizing each other.
    I'm not quite sure what that means; it sounds to me like the printer tech isn't an expert at Windows issues. (He may be an expert at fixing printers, while not understanding Windows issues.)

I hope he didn't charge you much if anything for not knowing how to fix the problem.

What you need to do is, uninstall the Ricoh printer in Windows, then reboot. Then reinstall the printer driver in Windows. Follow the instructions carefully which are supplied with the driver. For example, don't plug in the printer until the instructions tell you to. With some printers, you plug in the printer early in the process, and it will then prompt you to put the driver disk in. With other printers, you will first install the driver, and then you will plug in the printer.

Good luck.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2015-10-05 at 09:56.