Thanks

Surprise W10 Setup screen

I had just installed the KB that allows the Upgrade Icon to be installed yesterday or the day before, not because I wanted an immediate upgrade, just looking. I got the Icon and decided to just leave it there. Avast wanted a new version installed and a reboot. Reboot was to the W10 setup screen! I backed out but had not heard of this behavior before. To be fair I know some on this forum who had 'stealth' upgrades but I do not recall this being mentioned. I can see how someone might start the upgrade by mistake at this screen. Has anyone else experienced this??

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    The unexpected auto-upgrade to Win10 issue has been discussed in several other WSL threads.

Also, since Win10 was released I have attended at least fifteen customers whose computers had either auto-upgraded or had repeating "failed" entries in the WU logs when the files were downloaded but failed to install for some reason.

To avoid the problem use the "GWX Control Panel" ( http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/ ) to disable the upgrade. More info at: http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    I know there were some discussions, but I do not recall a description where the computer booted into setup. I remember 'automatic upgrade' or some such description being used implying no choice being offered. I was not forced to install, it was quite rude of MS to do that no doubt.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Today whilst foraging for W10 forced upgrade protection I booted my old computer running W7. I checked out the check pc option in the Get W10 app. I went to windows update and it was installing about a dozen updates. Now I never allow auto updates on my 2 main computers. I have had it set to Never Check for years, yet it now set to Auto. I had no choice but to reboot w/ fingers crossed. I still had W7 upon reboot yay!! In W update I was once again being offered KB3035593 which was already listed in Installed Updates. Must be on of those flexible ones like the definition updates for MSE.

I am gonna do the Regedit no new os change after uninstalling KB3035593.

David

Thanks
    I had the same thing happen. Here's a link to my post/thread
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...behind-my-back

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    David "I am gonna do the Regedit no new os change after uninstalling KB3035593."
    I have a couple of regedits for 32-bit involving DWORD which is ok for me

But my son has a 64-bit system and DWORD has a different terminology that I don't recall.
    --- If you have a 64-bit system can you provide a Regedit example for me?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    David "I am gonna do the Regedit no new os change after uninstalling KB3035593."
    I have a couple of regedits for 32-bit involving DWORD which is ok for me

But my son has a 64-bit system and DWORD has a different terminology that I don't recall.
    --- If you have a 64-bit system can you provide a Regedit example for me?
    Subkey: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUp date
    DWORD value: DisableOSUpgrade = 1

and run wusa /uninstall /KB:3035583 or manually uninstall. And Hide it.
    I have more notes but this seems to be working.
    David

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-10-07)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    To avoid the problem use the "GWX Control Panel" ( http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/ ) to disable the upgrade. More info at: http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/
    I've just had to run GWX Control Panel on each of our charity's 60 PCs because the "Upgrade to Windows 10" icon suddenly appeared in the icon area at the bottom of their screens. I though that Volume Licences were supposed to be immune from Windows 10 upgrades?

Certainly we wish to avoid Windows 10's "crazy growth" until we're ready for it, in a few years' time...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    @ BATcher #8 post

The past fortnight-or-so I have been running the "GWX Control Panel" on almost all the customers' computers I have worked on.

Only takes a minute-or-so to copy it from my USB thumbdrive, and a few seconds to run it to disable GWX.

Much easier, safer, and more time-efficient than manually editing the registry or messing around with .reg files. Seems bulletproof.
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-10-07)

Thanks
    @ BATcher #8 post

The past fortnight-or-so I have been running the "GWX Control Panel" on almost all the customers' computers I have worked on.

Only takes a minute-or-so to copy it from my USB thumbdrive, and a few seconds to run it to disable GWX.

Much easier, safer, and more time-efficient than manually editing the registry or messing around with .reg files. Seems bulletproof.
    The down side of that is we don't know what the program actually does!

You could export and save the reg file and reuse it where ever..

Interestingly I notice on my new box a small $Windows.~bt folder and a 10.3 GB $Windows.~ws folder from the middle of last month. Don't really know what that means but did the
    DWORD value: DisableOSUpgrade = 1 edit so I should be OK.

David

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    The down side of that is we don't know what the program actually does!...
    See "Using GWX Control Panel (formerly GWX Stopper) to Permanently Remove the 'Get Windows 10' Icon" at http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/201...ly-remove.html
    ...Interestingly I notice on my new box a small $Windows.~bt folder and a 10.3 GB $Windows.~ws folder from the middle of last month. Don't really know what that means...
    The "$Windows.~bt" and "$Windows.~ws" folders indicate that Windows Update has downloaded the files needed to upgrade your computer to Win10.

Thanks
    See "Using GWX Control Panel (formerly GWX Stopper) to Permanently Remove the 'Get Windows 10' Icon" at http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/201...ly-remove.html

The "$Windows.~bt" and "$Windows.~ws" folders indicate that Windows Update has downloaded the files needed to upgrade your computer to Win10.
    Read that twice, it does not tell me what it DOES. It tells me only the intended consequences.

I have not found good info as to what the differences are between "$Windows.~bt" and "$Windows.~ws" and what that implies..

David

Thanks
    The down side of that is we don't know what the program actually does!

You could export and save the reg file and reuse it where ever..

Interestingly I notice on my new box a small $Windows.~bt folder and a 10.3 GB $Windows.~ws folder from the middle of last month. Don't really know what that means but did the
    DWORD value: DisableOSUpgrade = 1 edit so I should be OK.

Both are down to KBs, don't know when.
    David