Thread: Batteries

5 Star Lounger

I recently bought a couple of spare batteries for a mature but classic camera, and I was pleasantly surprised to discover that their rated capacity is nearly double that of the OEM battery, at a lower price.

My laptop computers are maturing too, and I wondered if a battery upgrade makes sense. My own thoughts have always tended toward keeping a transferable setup on a stick or portable drive or in the cloud and just buying a new computer to slap it on if you get caught without one, but I canít afford that and a longer-lasting battery on an existing computer would make it genuinely portable.

Are better batteries available for existing computers?

WS Lounge VIP
    You can usually get a choice of 6 or 9 cell.

Laptops generally come with 6 cell but I've seen newer laptops with phenomenal life span that I suspect they are now fitting 9 cell batteries, although with the advancement in technology they may be able to attain those with a 6 cell.

My 2011 Toshiba laptop came with a 6 cell but when I bought a replacement, I didn't feel the much increased price for the 9 cell was justified - regretting the decision now so next time will probably buy the 9 cell.

Always go for the genuine vendor's battery though as you can get some cheapos and I've come across where a generic Made in China one exploded in a laptop.

When you get the new one or before, download the free version of HWMonitor which will show how much the battery is degraded.

WS Lounge VIP
    Advances in technology mean new batteries have greater capacity for the same physical size.

Having a better battery won't prevent some other problem that necessitates a new machine - theft, accident etc.

cheers, Paul