Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

SATA drives not showing in BIOS

I am trying to install Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit) on a workstation with a Tyan S2915 motherboard. The BIOS is a Phoenix. I have two SATA drives connected, a 250Gb and a 750Gb both of which do not show up in the BIOS under the IDE Config tab but do show in the Boot order menu ! The Primary Master is set to 'Auto' to populate the relevant fields with the correct info e.g. No. of sectors, heads etc. but the fields do not get populated. When I try to install the OS I get a 'NTLDR missing' error message which I am assuming is due to the HDD's not being recognised ? I can however install XP without a problem. One thing I noticed is that in the IDE Config section the 'Large Disk Access Mode' can only be set to either 'DOS' or 'OTHER' there is no option to set it to 'LBA'. I believe the previous owner of the workstation was running some flavour of Linux but even trying to install Ubuntu v14 it fails to install but will install v12 !!!!

I'm not sure whether a BIOS firmware update may be the answer. I did try and update the BIOS but it aborted saying that it couldn't proceed with HIMEM running.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Graham

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    As far as what I have installed with SATA there is no Master, Slave or Cable Select jumpers, can have only one drive per cable/motherboard socket. The first/boot drive should be connected to SATA 0 indicating the first drive listed in the BIOS.

The issue with Linux indicates that Tyan board is older, I haven't work with one in more than a dozen years. I had such an issue with a Dell Notebook and the Centrino feature, could only install Linux Mint 13 on it instead of the later Linux Mint 16 and 17, something about PAE/Physical Addressing Extension.

I don't think the SATA drives can be used with adapters for PATA ports/cabling but really haven't tried it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

astrostar69 (2015-10-12)

Thanks
    IDE and SATA are not the same thing; a hard drive is either SATA or IDE. So if you have two SATA drives, the IDE config tab is the wrong place to be when checking the configuration for these drives.

"Primary Master" would refer to IDE drives, not SATA drives.

Do you have any IDE drives (they use flat, wide data cables) in the computer, or only SATA drives (they use non-flat, non-wide cables)? If you KNOW that there are no IDE drives, then you should try to remove the IDE entries from the BIOS. But keep in mind that CD/DVD drives are also either IDE or SATA, so there could be an IDE CD/DVD drive in the computer as well.

My thought is that if you can clean up the IDE/SATA listings in the BIOS so as to accurately reflect what is actually in the computer, I'll bet this problem will disappear.

Not sure how you got XP to install.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2015-10-06 at 12:57.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

astrostar69 (2015-10-12)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    IDE and SATA are not the same thing
    That is correct.

To explain a bit further:
    The term for IDE drives has evolved into PATA/Parallel ATA since the introduction of SATA/Serial ATA drives.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ATA
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

IDE can be applied to both types of drives.
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/I/IDE_interface.html

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

astrostar69 (2015-10-12)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    As far as what I have installed with SATA there is no Master, Slave or Cable Select jumpers, can have only one drive per cable/motherboard socket. The first/boot drive should be connected to SATA 0 indicating the first drive listed in the BIOS.

The issue with Linux indicates that Tyan board is older, I haven't work with one in more than a dozen years. I had such an issue with a Dell Notebook and the Centrino feature, could only install Linux Mint 13 on it instead of the later Linux Mint 16 and 17, something about PAE/Physical Addressing Extension.

I don't think the SATA drives can be used with adapters for PATA ports/cabling but really haven't tried it.
    Hi,

The Tyan board was installed around 2008 and the Tyan website has drivers for Windows 7 so I'm assuming that the board won't be a problem as far as installing Win 7 goes ? The SATA drives are connected correctly to SATA 0 and SATA 1 but when the computer boots a Phoenix BIOS screen shows for a few moments after the boot process finishes and shows a summary of CPU's, memory etc. but doesn't show any of the hard drives and then I get an 'NTLDR missing' error message even with a Win 7 installation DVD in the drive.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

Yes, I have an IDE CD/DVD drive installed but there doesn't appear to be any mention of SATA devices in any of the BIOS settings - very strange.

Yes, XP installed fine as did an earlier version of Ubuntu. There is an option for selecting the OS, either Linux, Win XP Pro or 'Other' and I'm just wondering whether a BIOS update might add a later OS to the list.

Thanks
    Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

Make sure Sata ports are enabled.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

astrostar69 (2015-10-12)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

Yes, the SATA ports are all enabled as per your photos and the NV Raid options are all disabled so it's most odd that none of the two HDD's are showing up when the final Phoenix BIOS summary screen is displayed.

Thanks
    There should be an option to reset ESCD (Extended System Configuration Data) on the advanced tab. This should force a rescan of hardware.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

astrostar69 (2015-10-12)

Thanks
    IDE and SATA are not the same thing
    That is correct.

To explain a bit further:
    The term for IDE drives has evolved into PATA/Parallel ATA since the introduction of SATA/Serial ATA drives.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ATA
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

IDE can be applied to both types of drives.
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/I/IDE_interface.html
    The reason I use the term "IDE" is because that is the term used on the user's BIOS screen.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

astrostar69 (2015-10-12)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The reason I use the term "IDE" is because that is the term used on the user's BIOS screen.
    Okay, it's been awhile since I worked with a computer that had SATA ports but no listing for them in the BIOS, oldest SATA HDD I have laying around is from June 2007.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

astrostar69 (2015-10-12)

Thanks
    Okay, it's been awhile since I worked with a computer that had SATA ports but no listing for them in the BIOS, oldest SATA HDD I have laying around is from June 2007.
    Berton
    That is not the case look at the images in post 7. That MB has both.

To the OP maybe you need to insert the sata drivers during install, F6 at some point memory fails...

David

20. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

astrostar69 (2015-10-12)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Guys,

Just to update everyone kind enough to help. I reset the ESCD as suggested but to no avail, the SATA drives are still not detected even though they show in the Boot sequence menu ! Unfortunately, I'm not able to load any SATA drivers using F6 or any other F key as the Win 7 DVD doesn't even start to load before I get a 'NTLDR missing' message - I have the DVD drive set as the first boot device. The LED comes on briefly on the DVD drive and then the HDD LED flashes so I'm guessing the 'NTLDR missing' message is due to the fact that I don't have an OS on the HDD.

Jut to recap - Windows XP loaded fine and I was then able to do a 'clean' install of Win 7 with the XP OS being saved as 'Win old' or some such name. This in itself wouldn't be a big problem except that what should be my 'C' drive is now labelled as 'E' with the other 750Gb SATA drive labelled as 'C' drive ! Whilst I can rename the 750Gb drive, I am unable to change the drive letter of the main 'E' drive to what it really should be i.e. 'C'.

It would have been great if I could simply have installed Win 7 straight from the DVD as this would have installed the OS to my primary HDD (250GB) 'C' drive.

Thanks
    Perhaps there is an issue with your motherboard. I would suggest a BIOS upgrade. Can't hurt, and it might fix the problem.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

astrostar69 (2015-10-12)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps there is an issue with your motherboard. I would suggest a BIOS upgrade. Can't hurt, and it might fix the problem.
    I agree. There's a whole bunch of BIOS updates for that specific motherboard on the Tyan website. While it may be a good, solid piece of gear it clearly had a variety of issues which were addressed with multiple BIOS updates.
    http://www.tyan.com/support_download...odel=S.S2915-E

Also, you can download a copy of the user guide at the website:
    http://www.tyan.com/manuals/m_s2915_100.pdf

25. The Following User Says Thank You to starvinmarvin For This Useful Post:

astrostar69 (2015-10-12)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast