Thanks

Wireless keyboard problem

My wireless keyboard, a MS 3000 V2 is causing problems with only some keys working. I changed the batteries with no improvement. I put my wired keyboard on and that works fine (typing with it now). I assume the keyboard is toast (I think that's the correct Americanism ), so has anyone any suggestions about looking for a cause of the problem before I send it to the IT dept in the sky (well the local recycling centre)?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've never used this program but you could try the free trial of http://www.passmark.com/products/keytest.htm to see if it gives any info - use the download link at the bottom of the page, but have you given the keyboard a good blow out with an air duster can ?

Thanks
    I tried the program and after taking a few minutes to work out what was happening, it showed me that typing slowly the keyboard is fine. But typing at normal speed just loses key presses. Following is some text at normal typing speed.

This is a test of my normal typing speed

This is a test of my normal typing speed

Huh it's working fine now. This needs some more thought....

Note on keyboardtest - you have to type with the focus in the window. The typed have a graphic on the keyboard but also on a window near the top, albeit all in uppercase and backwards.

p.s. this is what I typed in notepad ++ just before it started working again

Goinatnormal speed jtcasproblem

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've noticed that sometimes using my laptop I may not hit a key hard enough for it to register, although I've never been that quick typing - just had to go back to retype the I in I've as it missed but the keyboard is working fine.

I occasionally have to give my keyboard a blow out because the keys feel bouncy rather than having a positive click and it doesn't take much for some dust or other debris to get in there.

Thanks
    After I posted it started playing up again, but I reseated the wireless dongle it uses and it seems to be fine again. I will just have to monitor it!

This is a wireless desktop keyboard - do I just blow out the debris under the keys? Is there a way to remove the keys - I used to do this when I had an old fashioned keyboard years ago, as I had a tool for removing them. I won't say about putting keys back in the wrong place when it was a colleague's keyboard!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, if you just stick the straw in the nozzle and get right in between the keys.

At one time you could lift the keys - did that on an old Atari STFM and swapped bits from another keyboard, but I wouldn't like to try it on more modern keyboards.

Did your colleague stay friends with you