Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A few good reasons to upgrade from Win7 to Win10

TOP STORY

A few good reasons to upgrade from Win7 to Win10

By Lincoln Spector

That "Get Windows 10" icon sitting in Win7's notification area will get you a free upgrade, but you haven't decided whether it's worth taking the plunge.

For most Win8 users, upgrading is a virtual no-brainer; for Win7 users, however, the case is not so compelling. Here are a few enhancements that might tip the balance toward Win10.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/a-few-good-reasons-to-upgrade-from-win7-to-win10/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    "File Explorer’s Quick Access Toolbar is completely different from Quick Access."

Yep. Thanks Microsoft.

New Lounger
    Thanks

No Cortana in South Africa

I live in South Africa and the non-availability of Cortana is a real irritation

[

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd like to ask whether free, time limited software, like GOTD offers, will not upgrade automatically when upgrading from Win7 to Win10?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    No other software upgrades as part of the upgrade from W7/8 to W10.
    What software were you concerned about?

cheers, Paul

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by YouMike View Post
    I live in South Africa and the non-availability of Cortana is a real irritation
    It doesn't understand your accent.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    "File Explorer’s Quick Access Toolbar is completely different from Quick Access."

Yep. Thanks Microsoft.
    Bruce, I can't decide if you're being ironic or genuine by your comment. Having found the quick access toolbar in Office 2013 and have made good use of it, by adding various commonly used commands, I can see that it's there in file manager and could have the same utility. Quick access is a rename of the old Favourites and has (seemingly) some extra functionality, which looks useful to me.

Currently I have a win 8 PC and a Win 10 pc, though the 8 one is my main one which I intend updating in the near future. The 10 one is my old PC and I use it to test the functionality of 10 so when I upgrade, I won't be floundering as to where various options are.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    No other software upgrades as part of the upgrade from W7/8 to W10.
    What software were you concerned about?

cheers, Paul
    GOTD- Giveaway of the Day - offers fully functioning programs for free, but with the stipulation that they are one-time offers, and any registration procedure for the sw only works for that day. For example, I have something called VideoCompressor. I cannot reinstall as it was a one-time offer. Do you know if reinstalls are needed for non-Windows 10 software? I suppose that's what I'm asking, and apologize for being so round about.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation My tuppenceworth of Windows 10 shortcomings...

Thanks for a useful, informative, well-composed article!
    My major gripes with Windows 10 are ...
    • Windows Update can hang totally ... YES! ... I will continue my story in the Thread "Thirty-day Win10 experiment lasts only a week" once a Misrosoft level 2 technician contacts me (I was away in the meantime)
    • Windows 10 has no concept of separate SYSTEM and DATA partitions! Why Microsoft pack everything into one partition that just bloats until the drive is full and the operating system no longer works makes no sense to me. A clean concept would be to place your personal DATA in a totally separate partitiom that's easy to backup, protect, move, expand, control growth, etc.
    • Privacy issues - which you already highlighted. I'd be interested to hear what other users think of the tool "ShutUp10" from O&O (http://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10). I think their initiative is brave and bold and a dammned good idea. But it may have some issues ... ?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Windows 10 performs an in-place upgrade, so all existing software remains in place - although there are no guarantees that they will still work.
    Always make an image backup before upgrading to 10.

cheers, Paul

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

sdede (2015-10-08)

Thanks
    •Windows 10 has no concept of separate SYSTEM and DATA partitions! Why Microsoft pack everything into one partition that just bloats until the drive is full and the operating system no longer works makes no sense to me. A clean concept would be to place your personal DATA in a totally separate partitiom that's easy to backup, protect, move, expand, control growth, etc.
    That's your job, not Microsoft's.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Query: I have a win7 system with three monitors. If I upgrade to Win10, can I replace one monitor with a touch screen, and leave two others non-touch?? I don't know if that would work. Thanks.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    All the Windows 10 privacy invading stuff aside, here is why I can't upgrade:

Win7_GEForce7300LE1.jpg

Note the item "Issues require attention".

Win7_GEForce7300LE2.jpg

In this dialog, the indication is that the display manufacturer has not made the display compatible with Windows 10. However, it lists the video card as the reason (different manufacturer). If Microsoft can't get this right, what else could be wrong?

Further, the video card vendor does not have an update for this, which opens the possibility that Microsoft hasn't taken them to task for this. They seem to be the only ones that can make a difference here.

Before you ask, I have checked with the video vendor and installed their latest driver, which is advertised for all versions of Windows, and that has made no difference. The vendor has a newer version of the driver, but when I attempt to install that, it indicates no compatible device found.

But that is okay. This is a much older (from 2007) workstation that is 32-bit and runs just fine as is. Funny thing though...thoughout the Window 8 preview & production release, Win8.1Pro runs just fine on this workstation. So, why is Windows 10 so restrictive with this video interface? With the newer version of GWX, the only option presented is an offer to buy a newer PC, so it turns out to be all about marketing and the money.

By the way, I don't buy into many of your reasons for getting Win10. Long term support is the only real reason to make the change.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Please explain why you think upgrading for win8 users is a 'no-brainer'. I have win8 on all my work computers and have no intention of going through the hassle of upgrading all my computers.

Perhaps you meant for home users, but even then I haven't found any compelling reasons to upgrade.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I see no mention of print problems. 1st, background ... Decided to try Win10 on an under-powered laptop (ASUS Aspire 5552-3691) that MS initially disavowed as being suitable for upgrade. After updating video driver, and adding a registry key avowing that it was good to go, the upgrade from Win7 to 10 seemed to go reasonably smoothly, though it took more than ten hours (partly due to the power cord unplugging itself (?)).
    That laptop has quite a dogs-breakfast of sw on it, and everything seemed to function (though ClassicShell needed a re-install to work reliably). It was days before I noticed it was not possible to print (other than by using print to PDF features within browsers).
    Turned out that Print Spooler service was not starting. There are a lot of threads about 1721 or ...706b9 errors, many of which have no clear resolutions. In this instance, it appears that a networked HP printer might be the culprit. Removing all printers should have been done before uninstalling the HP software, because doing so afterward left a non-removable printer husk, which had used the Web Services transport (WSD) to support networked scanning.
    Acck!! it appears the only option is a rollback to Win7, remove all printer traces, upgrade to Win10 then reinstall the printers.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast