Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    How to correct many broken internal links?

    Hello,

    This is my first post here.


    I havemany word documents. I create links from one document to another for the sakeof workflow.
    Somehow all my links no longer work. My fault I am sure. I can go and correct eachlink and point
    them to the correct document but that will take a long time. Isthere an easier way of doing this?
    Perhaps find target so the link functions.

  2. #2
    Silver Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Forever West
    Posts
    2,072
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 259 Times in 248 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    Hello,

    This is my first post here.


    I havemany word documents. I create links from one document to another for the sakeof workflow.
    Somehow all my links no longer work. My fault I am sure. I can go and correct eachlink and point
    them to the correct document but that will take a long time. Isthere an easier way of doing this?
    Perhaps find target so the link functions.
    Some questions that come to mind are: Where are the documents stored, on your HDD, on a different partition or HDD, on a USB drive or on a Server? Have they recently been moved? What program and which version?

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

    Vas (2015-11-27)

  4. #3
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    In my word documents, .doc and .docx on top I may have 5 or 10 links to other documents on the same or other hard drives in the same PC. How I screwed the links up I cannot recall.

  5. #4
    Silver Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Forever West
    Posts
    2,072
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 259 Times in 248 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    In my word documents, .doc and .docx on top I may have 5 or 10 links to other documents on the same or other hard drives in the same PC. How I screwed the links up I cannot recall.
    When a shortcut/icon or link doesn't work I right-click it and check that the path is correct, pointing to the right location of the file it is supposed to open. The same goes for program icons.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

    Vas (2015-11-22)

  7. #5
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    When a shortcut/icon or link doesn't work I right-click it and check that the path is correct, pointing to the right location of the file it is supposed to open. The same goes for program icons.
    That's what I did and the link was to the wrong drive or folder.
    I have many word documents and many bad links. I can go and correct
    each link and point
    them to the correct document but that will take a long time.
    Is there an easier way of doing this?

  8. #6
    Silver Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Forever West
    Posts
    2,072
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 259 Times in 248 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    That's what I did and the link was to the wrong drive or folder.
    I have many word documents and many bad links. I can go and correct
    each link and point
    them to the correct document but that will take a long time.
    Is there an easier way of doing this?
    One choice is to restore the files to the original location of the Folder, copy them back to where the Properties of the shortcut/links show they should be. Doing it on a Folder basis wouldn't usually need moving the individual files, just the Folder containing the files.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

    Vas (2015-11-22)

  10. #7
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The target files are in various locations. Looks like I will have to correct each link one at a time.
    The alternative is to delete all the links that I have usually at the top of many of my documents
    and put an end to this scheme. Perhaps after deleting the links I can start anew with new links.

    Hold on, let me do more research on google.
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...2+windows+word

  11. #8
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Posts
    5,054
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 417 Times in 346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    That's what I did and the link was to the wrong drive or folder.
    I have many word documents and many bad links. I can go and correct
    each link and point them to the correct document but that will take a long time.
    Is there an easier way of doing this?
    Word links are always absolute so, if you move or rename the target folder, any links to files within it will be broken. In most cases, you can use Find/Replace to repair such links. To do so:
    1. Open a document with broken links
    2. Press Alt-F9 to expose the document's field codes. They'll look something like { INCLUDETEXT "C:\\Users\\Vas\\Documents\\SomeFolder\\SourceDocu ment.docx" }
    3. Simply replace however much of the old path you need to change with the new one. For example:
    Find = \\SomeFolder\\
    Replace = \\SomeNewFolder\\SomeSubFolder\\
    Note that you need to use double backslashes for the path separators.
    4. Press Ctrl-A, F9 to update all the links (& other fields) in the document.
    Cheers,

    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

    Vas (2015-11-22)

  13. #9
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yea, I did the alt F9 and saw that I made a variety of edits on
    my links. It was not just a change of drive letter. If it was
    so your method will have saved me.

    I will start from scratch and build new links.

    Thanks for the help.

  14. #10
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Posts
    5,054
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 417 Times in 346 Posts
    It really doesn't matter how much of the link has changed - a Find/Replace can be used to replace the entire path & filename, if needs be.
    Cheers,

    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

  15. #11
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The file name in all cases has not changed. But the drive letter in folders has changed.

    Are you say that if I do the alt F9 I should find a "Find/Replace" button somewhere which will fix the link automatically? I see an "edit hyperlink" but this is a manual method. Very time consuming.

    I appreciate your responses and hope I do find an automatic way to fix my broken links.

  16. #12
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Posts
    5,054
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 417 Times in 346 Posts
    I don't know why you seem to be intent on making this more difficult than it need be.
    1. Press Alt-F9 to expose the field codes, which should then look something like:
    { LINK Excel.Sheet.8 "C:\\Users\\UserName\\Documents\\Excel Table.xls" "Sheet1!R1C1" \a \f 4 \h }
    2. Use Find/Replace to change, say, 'C:\\' to 'D:\\' or, say, 'Documents\\' to 'Documents\\Excel Files\\', etc.
    3. When you're done, press Alt-F9 again to hide the field codes
    4. Press Ctrl-A, F9 to refresh the links.
    Done.
    Cheers,

    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

  17. #13
    jwoods
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    Are you say that if I do the alt F9 I should find a "Find/Replace" button somewhere...
    Vas,

    See the section Find and replace text in this article (Word 2007)...

    https://support.office.com/en-us/art...4-315a3547f69c

    Copy one of your documents and use it for practice first before making changes to all your documents.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-11-25 at 23:18.

  18. #14
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have not used Find/Replace since Word 98 I believe.
    That is a quick way to make changes!

    I changed the drive F to G and saved.
    The link in alt F9 says G but it insists to go to F.
    I rebooted and still the same.

    I get "cannot open he specified file"

    Thanks for the help. I will delete all and
    slowly as I go along start fresh links.

  19. #15
    jwoods
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    I have not used Find/Replace since Word 98 I believe.
    That is a quick way to make changes!

    I changed the drive F to G and saved.
    The link in alt F9 says G but it insists to go to F.
    I rebooted and still the same.

    I get "cannot open he specified file"

    Thanks for the help. I will delete all and
    slowly as I go along start fresh links.
    Sounds like they didn't get refreshed.

    Did you do steps 3 and 4 in post #12?

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

    Vas (2015-11-27)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •