Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Hard Drive runs at 100% after startup in Windows 10

On both my desktop and laptop, both of which have been upgraded from Windows 7 Home, the performance is badly eroded at startup. On checking performance in the Task Manager, the main hard drive (C:\) can be seen to be running at 100%. Once this stops, and it can take more than 3 minutes (!) to do so, the PC's performance returns to normal.

Any suggestions on how to fix this will be very much appreciated.

Thank you
    Brian

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BGCP View Post
    On both my desktop and laptop, both of which have been upgraded from Windows 7 Home, the performance is badly eroded at startup. On checking performance in the Task Manager, the main hard drive (C:\) can be seen to be running at 100%. Once this stops, and it can take more than 3 minutes (!) to do so, the PC's performance returns to normal.

Thank you
    Brian
    Go to "Startup" in Task manager and see how many apps are enabled under Status, maybe you can disable some of them.
    Good luck with that. Pete.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Pete - I have already disabled them all but still no change. Anything else?

Thanks
    Thanks Pete - I have already disabled them all but still no change. Anything else?
    Are you running a SSD or HDD. Its funny that it's happening with both of your computers. I will have a look around about this. If you have the same SSD in each maybe update the firmware of the SSD. Also read a bit about defrag (for HDD) and page file needing to be changed.
    Last edited by KIWIpeteW; 2015-10-08 at 06:01.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again Pete.
    Both are HDD's. I also went throught and made the changes recommended in this YouTube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK_RxU9bCBQ with the exception of the Indexing at 1:25 or so, which I found confusing.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Is it better after the changes?

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately not! :-(

Thanks
    In task manager>Processes tab, you can click on the Disk heading to sort the result with the worst offenders at the top. You can also get similar information from Resource Monitor, accessed from the Performance tab in Task Manager. Use that info to track down the problem.

Another approach is to just uninstall the antivirus, it is often responsible for slowdowns like this.
    Last edited by Vincenzo; 2015-10-08 at 12:05.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The antivirus is not the problem at all. The problem is with Microsoft themselves. Microsoft has made Windows 10, especially the 64 bit edition, to run with a SSD Hard Drive. They are forcing the non-SSD Hard Drive to start quicker than it should. The same sort of problem exists installing Windows 10, 64 edition on an older Duo Core that is supposed to support 64 bit. You will find on the older computer that it will spike 100% for both the CPU and Hard Drive.
    The way you will eventually solve this problem is OUR regular Hard Drive, 5400 RPM, is going to croak from the heat, and we will need to buy an SSD Hard Drive.

That is truly a Windows Secret - Everything Microsoft forgot to mention. My Windows 10 was upgraded by the Windows 10 store, they held it due to this problem and then gave it back to me 3 weeks later unsolved. There is nothing wrong with the Hard Drives except they are non-SSD. The Hard Drive returns to 5% after around 5 minutes or so after startup. My computer is only 1 year old, there are hardly anything in the Startup area.
    Last edited by easeltine; 2015-10-08 at 19:12.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by easeltine View Post
    They are forcing the non-SSD Hard Drive to start quicker than it should.
    That seems to be impossible. Please provide some references for your assertions.

cheers, Paul

Thanks

Thank you
    Brian
    You probably just have a ton of malware loading up with start. I suggest reformatting, doing a clean install, then report back.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    We have not been told anything about the age and configuration of the systems. If these are old systems with slow HDDs then there may be no problem.

Joe

Thanks
    Or going through the startup items to see if the ones Task Manager flag as having a High Impact. It also wouldn't hurt to run Malwarebytes and Adwcleaner before taking the drastic step of reformat and reinstall.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Might want to use Autoruns to thoroughly check what is started on system startup.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all so far.

Both machines were bought in 2013 and both are 64-bit - the desktop has 12GB RAM with 1TB HDD and the laptop 8GB RAM and . The desktop (Lenovo IdeaCentre B540) processor is an Intel i7-3770 and clock speed of 3.40 Ghz, whereas the laptop (HP Pavilion dm4) has an i5-2450M processor with a clock speed of 2.50 Ghz.

Both were running Windows 7 Home Edition before the upgrade. The laptop currently has no antivirus except Windows Defender and the desktop Norton Internet Security.

I have disabled everything in the Startup tab of the Task Manager and have spent some time staring (as one does ) at the Processes tab in Task Manager with sort on the Disk column and the busiest Disk hogs seem to be System and various Service Host's and, of course Task Manager.

I will try the Malwarebytes, Adwcleaner and Autoruns and see if that helps, but otherwise will likely just have to learn to live with it. Tsk!

Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast