Star Lounger
    Thanks

Add-In Fonts (97 SR-2)

Is there any way to determine if new fonts have been added to Word (beyond what comes from Microsoft in the original installation)? I know how to locate font substitutions but that isn't what I need. I have users who may or may not remember what special fonts they added (or what was added by earlier users of their workstations). If they haven't added new fonts, it isn't a problem. If they used add-in TrueType fonts, then they have to embed them before others can print the documents. If they have added non-True Type fonts, then we have another set of issues.

Thanks,
    Caroline

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Add-In Fonts (97 SR-2)

All that you need to compare Fonts folder on basic installation and user's computer. If you are a network administrator, you can do it remotely using WinDiff.
    You can find WinDiff in your Reskit Tools. To speed the process, you can copy Fonts folder from basic installation to the Temp folder on your computer and aso use <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.codeproject.com/tools/runwindiff.asp>a small front-end application</A>
    You can also use <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.shiojiri.ne.jp/~tukahara/windiffp/>enhanced version of WinDiff</A> (I didn't try it.)
    If you must do it from each user's computer, put a copy of WinDiff along with standard Fonts folder on the server accessible from all workstations.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately, I'm not a network administrator. I've got a utility that will compare the contents of two different folders, though. This is naive, but when you refer to the "basic installation," what specifically do you mean and where is it generally located?

Thanks,
    Caroline

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Under "basic installation" I mean typical Windows installation pus typical Office installation (in this particular case, Office 97 installation and 'More Fonts" from Valuepack folder on Office CD). Try to find computer with such installation (with no more fonts added) and write down all fonts from Fonts folder (I believe it will be 129 fonts or so). Any fonts other than in this list will be fonts installed individually, that you are looking for.