Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 search not finding folders/files

On my desktop I have a folder and some files which have a common part of a name on both such as the name of the folder could be Folder and the files could be called Folder/file1, Folder/file2 etc. Doing a search in documents or even drilling down closer(these folders and files are about 5 levels down, if I used the name Folder, I don't find the folder or the files which had Folder as part of their name.

I cleared the search file and rebuilt the index and it still couldn't find the files.

I have a laptop which contains the same files as my desktop. I opened explorer and keyed in "Folder" and they popped right up. The only difference in the machines is that the desktop has an upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 and the laptop is a Windows 10 from scratch. I have checked the search ribbon on explorer and all options and other items are identical between the two machines.

Anyone have any ideas where to look???? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You said you rebuilt the search index. Did you double check what is set to be indexed at the same time?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes I did. I even added the drive that actually contained the Documents folder which the system is smart enough to know that the drive contained the documents folder so it removed the documents folder from the list when it added the drive. No change.

Interesting thing happened though. With all my frustrations, I restored to a C drive image from a week before to see what would happen. and immediately after the restore completed, I tried the search and it worked. So then I tried it again and it didn't work. Even drilling down the folder tree to the specific folder which contained the files so I'm looking at them while I'm keying in the search argument and it still can't find them.

So what the heck is going on?

Administrator
    Thanks
    My best guess is you've found a bug. Try using the Feedback app to report it.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. I've posted to the MS forums so we'll see what happens.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Did some more experimenting after a hint from a Microsoft Forum post. I did a safe mode boot and did the search and was able to find the Folder and Files. Disabled all the services other than Microsoft Services and did a boot and was NOT able to find the Folders and Files. Does this mean something in the Microsoft Services is screwing up?

Also, one other difference between the laptop and the desktop computer I forgot to mention above is that the desktop is an upgrade to Windows 10 Pro and the laptop is a clean install of Windows 10 Home.

Does anyone have any ideas of where to go next?

Administrator
    Thanks
    It is very difficult to find out what the differences are between the clean install and upgrade. Have you tried the search under a new account on the failing machine? Could be the user profile is somehow corrupted.

Unfortunately, perhaps you should backup your data and do a clean install on the failing machine. That is a lot of work without knowing ahead of time whether it will work or not but that may be your best bet.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    The clean install is a pretty severe solution. I'll try the new user and see what happens. In the meantime maybe someone will show up with a different idea. The problem I have now, psychologically, is that when i do a search and can't find something I can't trust the search so that causes more heartburn.

Thanks
    You could try Everything Search. ( www.voidtools.com) I find it faster and much more complete than Windows search.

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    The new User had no effect.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Just took a quick look at Everything Search. Problem with it is that it doesn't do contents, only file names.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Since the new user did not work either it appears the problem is in Windows itself. Have you run "SFC /SCANNOW" from an elevated command prompt?

Have you tried using DISM to check the system health? See DISM - Fixing Component Store Corruption (this says it is for Windows 8 but works the same in Win10)?

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran SFC and it did report some errors that it couldn't fix. I'll look at your DISM stuff this afternoon, but I'm starting to get a feeling that there is a reload in my future. The thing that just puzzles the heck out of me is why I can find the Folder and Files in Safe Mode but they disappear in a normal operating environment.

Administrator
    Thanks
    That may indicate a conflict with a driver. Only minimal drivers are loaded in safe mode. BTW, what a/v are you running?

Joe

Thanks
    Try disabling everything in the startup tab in Task Manager. Also, run MSConfig and disable all the non Microsoft services in the services tab. If the problem goes away, enable and disable things in groups until you identify the culprit.

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast