5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation A more real SHA-1 hack; ten days computime

DHE, RC4 and now SHA-1 (though the attack took ten days of computing time on GPU cards, but we all know what that eventually means). And yet, the businesses want your credit card and other personal info, but don't want to upgrade their servers encryption algorithms:

SHA-1 Freestart Collision

Schneier on Security
    Oct. 8, 2015

There's a new cryptanalysis result against the hash function SHA-1:

Abstract: We present in this article a freestart collision example for SHA-1, i.e., a collision for its internal compression function. This is the first practical break of the full SHA-1, reaching all 80 out of 80 steps, while only 10 days of computation on a 64 GPU cluster were necessary to perform the attack. This work builds on a continuous series of cryptanalytic advancements on SHA-1 since the theoretical collision attack breakthrough in 2005. ....

[Continue reading here: https://www.schneier.com/blog/archiv...reestart.html]
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-10-09 at 11:02.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    That's why we use SHA-256.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-10-11)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you are allowed that option.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I use a little free program from https://raylin.wordpress.com/downloa...cksum-utility/ to check most of my downloads, especially the large .iso files for Windows and Linux OSes, gives more comparison ability but I do have to remember to get the hash from the download page if offered. The hash number is embedded in the download by the publisher.

Thanks
    Nice program Berton

Just thinking, ooops I thought it would be nice to have a D/L manager that could auto check against 'copied' hashtag, never came across one!

BTW not on Gizmos list...
    Last edited by wavy; 2015-10-12 at 14:06.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    Nice program Berton

Just thinking, ooops I thought it would be nice to have a D/L manager that could auto check against 'copied' hashtag, never came across one!

BTW not on Gizmos list...
    Automatic would be nice. The closest I've come is on Linux Mint 17.x, has a choice on right-click menu of an .iso file to check but still need the hash from the download site to compare with.

Thanks
    Haha trying real hard to stay away from Linux. Still have a couple of bootable Usb HDD and SSD available but I am way too dumb,fussy and impatient for Linux.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    Haha trying real hard to stay away from Linux. Still have a couple of bootable Usb HDD and SSD available but I am way too dumb,fussy and impatient for Linux.
    I usually play with Linux LiveDVDs so the computer doesn't get changed. I only have it installed on a Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop because it is an extra computer and always interested in a replacement for WinXP that don't meet later system requirements, does pretty good. Use Firefox and LibreOffice, both included in the install disc.