Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 being forced on our computers once again.

I thought this had gone away but no. On 10-8-2015 another version of KB3035583 appeared on all our computers.

This time, if you go to Windows Update it shows that the upgrade to Windows 10 is ready to install. Clicking on show me all updates shows either an optional or important "Upgrade to Windows 10" and it is already checked. Unchecking the box appears to work but when you go back to Windows Update it has reappeared and is checked again.

Unchecking the box again and then right-clicking and selecting "Hide update" does appear to remove the update - for a few minutes. Then going back to Windows Update shows that the KB has been downloaded again and is checked by default. It still shows in the list of hidden updates as well. Repeating this only gives you multiple copies of the KB.

We applied the "DisableOSUpgrade" registry hack to all our computers and then performed the "uncheck and hide" procedure again. On some computers it appears to work at least for awhile, but on others it does not survive a reboot. The registry hack is still in place, but the KB returns and is checked and ready to be installed anyway.

At this point I don't know if I will return to work on Monday to find that all 70 of my Windows 7 machines have been assimilated.

I don't understand how Microsoft is getting away with this...

Thanks
    Try running GWX Control Panel on your PCs; I've done it on the 60 for our charity.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Unchecking the box again and then right-clicking and selecting "Hide update" does appear to remove the update - for a few minutes. Then going back to Windows Update shows that the KB has been downloaded again and is checked by default. It still shows in the list of hidden updates as well. Repeating this only gives you multiple copies of the KB.
    That should legally fall under the "Malware" category.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2015-10-10)

Thanks
    Installing Windows 10 is a good thing!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    Installing Windows 10 is a good thing!
    Only if you want it. If you don't want it, it's a bad thing.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2015-10-10)

Thanks
    MS has determined that they are going to shove win 10 down your throat whether you want it or not.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...rtner=yahootix
    NOTE: this article also references woody's Infoworld article.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Try running GWX Control Panel on your PCs
    Do the settings remain after the new update of 3035583 is installed?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Do the settings remain after the new update of 3035583 is installed?
    I don't think this update has yet installed on my PCs.
    The author of GWX Control Panel fully expects to have to bring out new versions of his program to deal with continued Microsoft action, so "eternal vigilance" is needed...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I have my updates setting set to Check for but let me choose which prevents the auto update to Win 10.

I've also uninstalled and hid the relevant WUs and even deleted the GWX registry keys and I still got a few updates for Win 10 the other day also, although they were listed as Optional.

That's three for the Win 10 download that I have hidden now - will there ever be an end to this onslaught by MS ?

I don't think that GWX Control Panel would do anything for me as none of the conditions apply, unless it had an alternative option when changing the Yeses to Nos.

Thanks
    My situation is that I accept all updates and not worry about them. This because I've never had any issues (lucky me). But I've also not had the upgrade downloaded or had MS attempt to upgrade me from 8.1 Pro. The same is true of my wife's Win 7 laptop. So why haven't I had the same issues of many on here? All I do when anything pops up about upgrading I just click the x and continue on my sweet way.

I intend upgrading my 8.1 desktop at some point (though probably not my wife's laptop - it's about 7 years old, and was upgraded to 7 from Vista). I've upgraded my old desktop and it seems to be fine - though I'm not stressing i in any way.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    For most people, the upgrade process probably works seamlessly, but there's enough people around who've had systems totally trashed (like 2 of mine were) or have had other legit software, including MS Office, crippled by the upgrade to show it's got serious problems. Microsoft's own Answers forums are littered with complaints about this.

For my part, I really didn't need the stress of having to rebuild at least one of those systems from scratch the week before I had three Uni assignments due (just so I'd have one system I could use) or having no internet access to do the necessary post-install updates because the faulty Win 10 download process blew my monthly download limit to the tune of hundreds of dollars...

Caveat Emptor!
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I've also uninstalled and hid the relevant WUs and even deleted the GWX registry keys and I still got a few updates for Win 10 the other day also, although they were listed as Optional.
    I don't think that GWX Control Panel would do anything for me as none of the conditions apply, unless it had an alternative option when changing the Yeses to Nos.
    Have you set DisableOSUpgrade=1 then? I don't think you should see updates for Win 10 if you had. GWX Control Panel would do that for you.

Computers that have this [DisableOSUpgrade=1] ... will never detect, download, or install an upgrade to the latest version of Windows.
    How to manage Windows 10 notification and upgrade options (KB3080351)
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-10-10 at 08:23.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    No Bruce, I haven't done the registry hack so will give the GWX CP a go if I get any more offers to install any of the Win 10 updates'

All is quiet for the moment

Something I did notice when checking the hidden updates is that the latest Win 10 download and 3035583 are smaller,
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-10-10 at 12:06.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    From ZDnet: " Even Josh Mayfield, the maker of the GWX Control Panel -- an excellent utility that has previously allowed users to opt out of and avoid the nags to upgrade to Windows 10 -- doesn't have an answer at present."

Now Microsoft is claiming that this is unintentional, which seemed unlikely until this morning when one of my machines suddenly stopped showing the upgrade in Windows Update. It just seemed to disappear overnight when, apparently, Microsoft reached into my machine and yanked the KB. Windows Update doesn't show any updates applied, nor did it do a reboot overnight, but the Upgrade to Windows 10 no longer shows.

I find it hard to believe that this could have been a mistake on Microsoft's part. A mistake that 1) put a KB on your machine that is listed as "recommended" but is checked by default, 2) allows you to uncheck the box but then immediately rechecks it, 3) allows you to hide it but then immediately downloads another copy and the checks it too, and 4) makes this upgrade front-and-center on the update page ahead of everything else.

The only "mistake" Microsoft made was in thinking that nobody would notice and they would get away with it. If it hadn't come out in the technical press yesterday (Ars and ZDnet at least) then I don't think they would have pulled it.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi, good to read about it. I'm also receiving updates to install Windows 10 on my Windows 7 laptop. I guess, almost everyone have been prompted by this? By the way, according to my daughter, it is good to install Windows 10.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast