Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Article on MS forcing win 10 onto ALL PC's possible

I think this should be a crime. I have win 10 on 1 computer but it will be some time before I install it on another one. Just my opinion about how dang sneaky MS has gotten.
    Windows 10 Worst Features Installed On Windows 7 And Windows 8 - Twice

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...rtner=yahootix

Don’t want Windows 10 because of its excessive privacy invasions? Well those reasons have now disappeared but only because Microsoft is trying to bring them to Windows 7 and Windows 8 – for a second time…

Yes, in a quite bizarre move Infoworld spotted Microsoft has simultaneously reissued no less than four controversial user tracking patches for Windows 7 and Windows 8. Stranger still in an attempt to get them onto more computers, Microsoft has even reclassified one as ‘Important’ so it will now install automatically on any PCs and laptops running default Windows Update settings (read: the vast majority).

The four patches are:

1. KB 2952664- a secret snooping patch first pushed to Windows 7 back in April. Officially described as merely a “compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7″, Infoworld discovered it actually adds a program to the Windows Task Scheduler called ‘DoScheduledTelemetryRun’ which sends usage information to Microsoft even for those who have specifically opted out of the Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP).

2. KB 2976978 – last issued in June, it is a scanner which sends diagnostics to Microsoft from CEIP participants. But the sneaky bit: if you let it scan it automatically signs you up to the CEIP program, which then gives Microsoft full usage tracking rights over your computer.

3. KB 2977759 – another diagnostic scanner, this one analyses computers to see whether their hardware is compatible for upgrades to Windows 10 and sends the data to Microsoft. Which leads us nicely onto…

4. KB 3035583 – this patch contains the infamous ‘Get Windows 10’ nagware pop-up which anyone who hasn’t upgraded to Windows 10 will likely have disabled by now. Well Microsoft thinks you need reminding, because now it has been reclassified as ‘Important’ and will therefore install automatically. So prepare for those Get Windows 10 pop-ups to start appearing again.

For those who don’t know Microsoft has a habit of reissuing patches it deems important now and again, but to push out a flurry of hardware analysis, Windows 10 upgrade compatibility and Windows 10 upgrade prompt patches simultaneously is far from subtle.

Windows 10 Upgrade Pressure Is Excessive

In fact these four re-releases come just one month after Microsoft formally admitted it has started automatically downloading the full Windows 10 upgrade (over 3GB) onto all Windows 7 and Windows 8 computers – even for users who specifically stated they do not want to upgrade.

“For individuals who have chosen to receive automatic updates through Windows Update, we help upgradable devices get ready for Windows 10 by downloading the files they’ll need if they decide to upgrade,” justified the company in an official statement at the time.

All of which leaves a somewhat bitter taste in the mouth. To date Windows 10 has done brilliantly and Microsoft confirmed over 110 million installations have already taken place (how many were reinstallations due to crash loops, is an obvious joke) so it doesn’t need to play such a forceful game.

Just a few days ago Microsoft showed the other side of its character with a positive, enthused event which delivered stunning newMicrosoft devices full of real innovation. But its behaviour with Windows 10 continues to show some of the company’s less desirable characteristics still remain…

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

eikelein (2015-10-09),macropod (2015-10-09)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I could not agree more.
    MS still is the same old MS they have been since the late 70s - to my limited knowledge at least.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad I use XP in a VM for most of my online interactions. lol

Banned Member
    Thanks

Thumbs up

You guys are fun

Or funny... nah, you're both. Love it!
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2015-10-09 at 23:42.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    You guys are fun

So you think Forbes is incorrect in ascribing dubious motives and methods to Microsoft?
    Simply mocking people who point this out is hardly a valid argument.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    One of mine had 3035583 listed as an important patch and I know I had hidden it last time. Not happy.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I know I'm missing something really obvious here, but how do you quickly and easily find whether or not these patches are installed? I have my patches sorted in name order, and the "KB*" part is all out of order. I would have to manually look through the whole list four times to see if each patch is installed.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Start > Run > cmd
    wmic qfe list brief /format:htable >%temp%\u.html & %temp%\u.html

If you get an error in Windows 7 try this.
    wmic qfe list brief /format:”C:\windows\system32\wbem\en-us\htable” >%temp%\u.html & %temp%\u.html

cheers, Paul
    Last edited by Paul T; 2015-10-10 at 06:13.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

eikelein (2015-10-16),Michael37713 (2015-10-10),mrjimphelps (2015-10-10),wavy (2015-10-10)

Thanks
    Thank you very much! That was very helpful.

I added a few steps:

Select all, copy
    Open Excel, paste
    Sort on the KB numbers

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

Michael37713 (2015-10-10)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    On my PCs it sorts in KB order automatically.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I've just gone to 'Uninstall an update' and searched for the update number (including the KB) so searching for KB3035583 it showed it was installed on the 7th. Just typing 3035583 doesn't work

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ha?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    You guys are fun
    Well, you are an MS Partner, that explains a lot.

But frankly, what is funny about somebody that may have more years in IT altogether than your likely total life span?

I am not kidding here, just slightly "p-ed o" about this. Usually your replies and posts have more substance.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    So you think Forbes is incorrect in ascribing dubious motives and methods to Microsoft?
    Simply mocking people who point this out is hardly a valid argument.
    Not mocking or arguing. It is just amusing how some people & some articles 'paint', skew or interpret things. Not everyone is trying to be or caring to be confrontational.

Thanks
    @Drew
    Sorry that my post upset you and I have no response to your earlier post. I do know that if information ( good or bad ) isn't added to this thread instead of a "cat" fight, Joe or another moderator will close this thread also. I guess that may work in your favor. Have a great day.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    I've just gone to 'Uninstall an update' and searched for the update number (including the KB) so searching for KB3035583 it showed it was installed on the 7th. Just typing 3035583 doesn't work
    Yup u need the KB whoda thunk ??

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast