Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    WS Lounge VIP mrjimphelps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,396
    Thanks
    445
    Thanked 404 Times in 376 Posts

    Blocking telemetry and W10 updates

    I just emailed my antivirus company, asking them to add the ability to block either specific updates (e.g. KB2952664, KB2976978, KB2977759, and KB3035583), or categories of updates (e.g. Microsoft Telemetry updates, update to Windows 10, etc.).

    An antivirus product seems like the logical way to block this stuff, if you don't want it.

    I'll post their answer if/when I hear back from them.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    6,618
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 875 Times in 837 Posts
    Where do you get your logic from - the only way to block WUs is to change the settings to Never check for them - you cannot be selective as it's all or nothing.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Posts
    5,054
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 417 Times in 346 Posts
    Logic sounds fair enough to me - if the AV software identifies something as malware (even if from MS), it might be able to inoculate the system against it.
    Cheers,

    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

  4. #4
    3 Star Lounger djohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Delaware City, Delaware
    Posts
    323
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 32 Times in 30 Posts
    My advice is to accept all updates. Obviously MS does not push malware! Your anti-virus company will not block updates.

  5. #5
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Posts
    5,054
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 417 Times in 346 Posts
    You should be able to permanently block this unwanted upgrade being foisted on you by following the instructions at: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351
    Cheers,

    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

  6. #6
    Silver Lounger lumpy95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mojave Desert CA
    Posts
    1,842
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 175 Times in 148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    My advice is to accept all updates. Obviously MS does not push malware! Your anti-virus company will not block updates.
    Unfortunately MS's method of forcing win 10 on naive customers who do not want it is by definition, a form of malware IMHO. Any good advice to block it ( for people who don't want it ) would be welcome.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    4,748
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 649 Times in 572 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Any good advice to block it ( for people who don't want it ) would be welcome.
    GWX Control Panel (Disable Operating System Upgrades in Windows Update)

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

    lumpy95 (2015-10-10)

  9. #8
    WS Lounge VIP mrjimphelps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,396
    Thanks
    445
    Thanked 404 Times in 376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Any good advice to block it ( for people who don't want it ) would be welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    GWX Control Panel (Disable Operating System Upgrades in Windows Update)
    Bruce, I've been looking, but I can't find it. But in the last couple of days, someone posted here at WS that the GWX people are concerned that Microsoft will change things up to thwart them, so that MS can force the update anyway.

  10. #9
    WS Lounge VIP mrjimphelps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,396
    Thanks
    445
    Thanked 404 Times in 376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Where do you get your logic from - the only way to block WUs is to change the settings to Never check for them - you cannot be selective as it's all or nothing.
    My logic is that, since my antivirus program has free reign on my computer in order to keep undesireable things out, and since they are doing constant research in order to accomplish that, they are the logical ones to do it.

    Personally, I don't have the time to keep up with the latest tricks that Microsoft is pulling these days, although I believe I am better informed than most.

    And if, in fact, my antivirus program can do that, I can then recommend to all my friends that they install the same antivirus program and set the same options that I set.

  11. #10
    5 Star Lounger Vincenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    654
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Unfortunately MS's method of forcing win 10 on naive customers who do not want it is by definition, a form of malware IMHO. Any good advice to block it ( for people who don't want it ) would be welcome.
    I've used this procedure on about 6 computers that were exhibiting multiple failed Win10 updates in WU history. After a month I am still not seeing anymore attempts at upgrading.
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/297...html?nsdr=true

  12. #11
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    4,748
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 649 Times in 572 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Bruce, I've been looking, but I can't find it. But in the last couple of days, someone posted here at WS that the GWX people are concerned that Microsoft will change things up to thwart them, so that MS can force the update anyway.
    The developer said that more about disabling the GWX icon than disabling the OS Upgrade (which Microsoft have documented), but in any case he will deal with it, if it happens:

    HOW PERMANENT IS "PERMANENT?"

    At the time I'm writing this, the "Disable" feature of GWX Control Panel really does make the Get Windows 10 icon disappear until you explicitly re-enable it. This works after system restarts and Windows Updates with no further intervention on your part. GWX Control Panel doesn't break or uninstall GWX; it just gives you control over when it appears.

    But Windows 10 is a moving target. If Microsoft pushes another update that changes the Get Windows 10 or Windows Update behavior, or locks its upgrade settings down even further than it is already, the icon and the notifications might come back. If that ever happens, I will do my best to combat it and publish updates at my downloads page.


    Using GWX Control Panel (formerly GWX Stopper) to Permanently Remove the 'Get Windows 10' Icon

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

    mrjimphelps (2015-10-10)

  14. #12
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    6,618
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 875 Times in 837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    Logic sounds fair enough to me - if the AV software identifies something as malware (even if from MS), it might be able to inoculate the system against it.
    While MS have advised to disable an AV program when there's been problems with WUs, it tends to block them all and is not selective.

    How would your AV program know that you didn't want Win 10 or any of the Telemetry updates when they all come from the same source - that's my logic.

  15. #13
    WS Lounge VIP mrjimphelps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,396
    Thanks
    445
    Thanked 404 Times in 376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    How would your AV program know that you didn't want Win 10 or any of the Telemetry updates when they all come from the same source - that's my logic.
    I'm hoping they can figure that out. That's why I pay them the big bucks!

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

    wavy (2015-10-10)

  17. #14
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Posts
    5,054
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 417 Times in 346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    While MS have advised to disable an AV program when there's been problems with WUs, it tends to block them all and is not selective.
    An errant AV program might not be selective, though my experience suggests otherwise; it's only particular updates they've had problems with
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    How would your AV program know that you didn't want Win 10 or any of the Telemetry updates when they all come from the same source - that's my logic.
    The same way it does with much other malware - by testing for a known string in its code.
    Cheers,

    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

  18. #15
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    6,618
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 875 Times in 837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I'm hoping they can figure that out. That's why I pay them the big bucks!
    You don't pay them enough big bucks to sort that one out - you just pay them to do what it says on the tin and they probably have their hands full just keeping on top of the Heuristics for what could be out in the wild.

    That's their main business, without taking time out to attempt to delve into the code of a particular update - and what about the rest that you may not want installed.

    Samsung have already had to back down from using software that blocked updates - do you think MS would allow any AV program to block Win 10 or any other update ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •