Thanks

"Microsoft Support" calling

Yesterday I got a call from someone who said he was from "Windows". I said, "Who is Windows?" He then said he was from Microsoft support, and that they have detected a lot of viruses on my computer. I asked, "How do you know?" He said that they monitor all computers. I told him I was going to report him for monitoring my computer. He then told me that he would do some horrible things to my wife, so I told him I was going to report him for threatening my wife and hung up.

I know that this scam has been reported over and over. But I just wanted to get this off of my chest.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Well done for calling his bluff!

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I would have told him I was divorced, so to go ahead then tell him to go away impolitely while questioning his legitimacy - and then hung up.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I get those calls now and then and they all mention Windows Technical Group or Windows Support Group, never say the word Microsoft. If they do say Microsoft they are open to big-time legal troubles since the name most likely is Trademarked, Registered and Copyrighted whereas the word/name Windows is only Registered. I get rid of them quickly by saying the call is an illegal scam and that I'm recording the call and will be turning it over to the State's Attorney General.
    Last edited by Berton; 2015-10-10 at 11:37. Reason: Spelling

Thanks
    I got the call at work, so I turned in the phone number (from the caller ID) and the details of the call to my employer.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    He said that they monitor all computers. I told him I was going to report him for monitoring my computer. He then told me that he would do some horrible things to my wife, so I told him I was going to report him for threatening my wife and hung up.

I know that this scam has been reported over and over. But I just wanted to get this off of my chest.
    Except now MS MAY really be monitoring your computer. It may be that MS will sell the info that you have malware to a third party. All those scam calls we like to laugh at may be a windows tech that knows what is on your computer.....

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.