Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 erased all my old files

Windows 10 erased all of my old files, that weren't Windows 10. I lost Office and all my other apps.

I'll try to reload Office 10 and Windows 7. I don't hold out any hope for doing so.

This is leading me to rely on Android, on my tablet.

I can't see everything because of the bad color selection, where I have some items the same color.

The learning curve on 10 is too long, and cumbersome.

I hope they didn't erase my Word and Excel files.
    Bob Wall

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Your data should still be there, but the Win 10 upgrade has a track record of breaking apps - including Office. You may need to reinstall them from scratch - or you could try rolling back the upgrade to Win 7, after which your apps should be restored to their previous functionality.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    Not sure if this is the case with you or not but when I did the win 10 upgrade on my laptop I couldn't find Office anywhere so I clicked on the "Get Office" app and there were 3 selections, one of which was "I already bought it". I clicked on that and it installed my Office 2013.

Thanks
    I hope they didn't erase my Word and Excel files.
    They shouldn't have, provided you did the upgrade install from a W10 upgradable operating system.
    All files should be in the folders you left them. If not look in the windows.old folder, or "search" for them by extention.

I can't see everything because of the bad color selection, where I have some items the same color.
    If you're coming from Windows 7 you may have to re-set your color and personalization settings, but that shouldn't be
    very difficult to do. Windows 8.1 personal settings, for the most part, should transfer over easily. The only exception I could
    see is if a very specific and specialty application was added to enhance personalizations.

The learning curve on 10 is too long, and cumbersome.
    Coming from XP, maybe, but not Windows 7 or 8. Look in the Window's 10 forum "sticky" section
    for some how-to articles, or just ask here.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bob, it sounds like you may have done a clean install, which would do what you describe. Can you do a restore?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Most of my data files appear to be there, but I can only open them in Wordpad.
    Bob Wall

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried the restore to the old Windows 7 version, but I evidently didn't do a backup when Windows 10 installed. I do have another backup I created earlier.

I do have the Product Key Card for Office, so I'm positive I can restore that.

Now, my problems seems to be getting rid of Win 10 and going back to Win 7.

I have, I think, the original Win 7 disk. I'll try that and see what happens. I don't have full confidence that it will solve my problems

Wish me luck.
    Bob Wall

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Stick to W10 and re-load Office. Then work on getting your backup up to scratch.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    Bob, it sounds like you may have done a clean install, which would do what you describe. Can you do a restore?
    Bob, is right. I simply upgraded to Win 10 and lost all of my programs and Casual Games!!! It was not a Clean Install, either. However, I did Go Back to Win 7 Pro, without any real issues, becaus I back up Win 7 pro. Except, I really did lose ALL of my Casual Games and had to re-install them. I am very savvy, when it comes to computers.

I will probably re-install Win 10, but, several months in the future, when most of the "bugs" have been worked out and corrected. This always happens with a new Windows Operating System, when Windows upgrades.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MmeMoxie View Post
    I simply upgraded to Win 10 and lost all of my programs and Casual Games!!!
    One of the problems MS is up against with this mass upgrade is that there's almost no such thing as a standard version of Windows. Everyone has done this or done that, installed this or installed that. The odds of there not being issues are somewhere between slim and none. It's the primary reason why I don't want to upgrade my Win7 laptop.

There's no knowing how many people have had problems and how many haven't since we mainly hear from those who have had a problem. This is just me talking, but I think that this strategy of pushing Win10 out to Win7 and Win8 machines is probably the dumbest thing MS could have done.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently bought a used HP laptop that had Win7 freshly installed. I took the time to install ALL of the Microsoft updates for it! Then I made an image of this (or so I thought) using the Win 7 tools. Then I updated it to Win 10, since it told me that I could ALWAYS roll it back to Win 7 (for up to 30 days, anyway) Then, I started doing all the updates for Win 10, which promptly hung up! At this point I decided to roll it back to Win 7, but I was told that these files no longer existed! Now, it seems to me that a FRESH install of Win7 would be saved somewhere in there! I didn't get an install DVD. The DVD's I made say, 'Repair Disc' and Recovery disk'. I don't know what is on them, they are unreadable to Win 10. I no longer need these, as Update FINALLY finished! BUT, I have no confidence, now, in the Win 10 Boot Disk DVD that I made! So, yeah, maybe I jumped on the upgrade bandwagon a bit too soon? Lucky for me, I have a beautifully running Vista desktop system that does everything I ask it to do. It takes up a lot of my desk space, so I was hoping to turn it off and save both space AND electricity, using a really good laptop. Having been with MS since DOS 3 days, you'd think I'd have learned SOMETHING by now, huh?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can download the install ISO from MS if you have a valid license key.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IAMPCBOB View Post
    I recently bought a used HP laptop that had Win7 freshly installed. I took the time to install ALL of the Microsoft updates for it! Then I made an image of this (or so I thought) using the Win 7 tools. Then I updated it to Win 10, since it told me that I could ALWAYS roll it back to Win 7 (for up to 30 days, anyway) Then, I started doing all the updates for Win 10, which promptly hung up! At this point I decided to roll it back to Win 7, but I was told that these files no longer existed!
    If your 'update' was an upgrade install of Win10, I'm surprised you couldn't roll it back, because that has worked for me. I have a laptop running 8.1 that I upgraded twice to Win10, and each time decided that my overall user experience got worse (random crashes being the biggest, but not the only, problem), so I did the rollback. It was quick and worked fine each time. On that same laptop (a Lenovo Thinkpad), I made an early upgrade from Win7 to Win8, and all went well, but for some reason no such luck with Win10. Like many others, I've decided to wait until MS has more time to work out the glitches before upgrading machines to Win10. (I understand that my laptop might have fared better with a clean install of Win10, but my install of Win8.1 is working great, and Win10 doesn't offer enough advantages to justify all the effort that would take.)

Thanks
    For several years now, on almost every forum, we've been telling everyone who will listen, to Backup their current version of Windows (the C: drive) to an external media, before ever trying to upgrade to a new OS. Even Microsoft has said the same thing. Who would'a thunk it?
    Because, upgrades do not always go well. (even monthly MS Updates don't always go well.)
    Files and programs can be lost and some PC's may even be left UN-bootable.

Then we see folks accessing the HELP forums, on their tablet or phone, asking for help.
    It's sad, but so absolutely unnecessary.

Good Backup Programs have been readily available all the way back to DOS days.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Paul. I will try that later. I assume it will let me get an iso for Win 7,m should I need it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast