Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

SSD life (new question)

Hi all;

I have followed the previous thread SSD life with great interest and I have read the PC-World article Paul T inked to as well.

I beg to at least question some of the obvious(?) conclusions that I had drawn and maybe others draw as well.

I have a Samsung Evo 840 SSD (250GB model) that I bought in July of 2013. Since then it is the system drive in my everyday rig. Only the data files (about 220GB) under my account are on an "old fashioned" spinning platter HD drive.

I ran gSmartControl 0.8.7 and got a disastrous result; it is here.

If SmartControl is right I have to buy a new SSD prontissimo and the conclusions (see above) are wrong.

If SmartControl is wrong and my conclusions (see above) are right what gives?

Comments, tips and education are welcome and kindly solicited. TIA
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

Thanks
    I never rely on just one software application's opinion, so get at least two other
    programs and run them.

If you have similar results across the board then I might consider looking at another drive
    to have at the ready.

Also, considering that the drive is a bit older, check to see if a firmware update is available.
    Your OS too should have TRIM enabled by default, so no Windows XP.
    If I got similar results from at least 3 separate software programs I might consider
    wiping the drive, updating the firmware, then performing a clean install, then repeating the tests again.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2015-10-12 at 03:17.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

eikelein (2015-10-12)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I can't see anything in your screen shot that says you have a problem. What are you concerned about?
    Try CrystalDiskInfo for a nice good/bad indicator, with full details also available. This is the zip version which is easiest to use.

cheers, Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

eikelein (2015-10-12)

Thanks
    Interesting I notice the zip is 4 MB and one exe is 208 MB !! I did not see a feature list. I am guessing the larger ones are an install, what else do you get w/ the install versions??

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    I can't see anything in your screen shot that says you have a problem. What are you concerned about?
    Thanks Paul T for your reply.
    Pre-failure status for
    • Re-Allocated Sector Count
      Wear Leveling Count
      Used Reserved Block Count and
      Runtime Bad Blocks
    plus all other values marked with "old age" gave me a slight fright.

I will try CrystalDiskInfo as well and report back.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ugly!

Well, this is not pretty.
    I ran GSmartControl and CrystalDiskInfo for my 3 years old Samsung EVO 840 250GB SSD (system disk) and for a brand new Seagate 1TB HDD. The differences make me speechless

I don't trust any of these. The results remind of the very recent VW diesel exhaust scandal.

Here are the screen shots:

Samsung SSD GSmartControl and CrystalDI

Seagate 1TB HDD GSmartControl and CrystalDI

It looks to me like with the CrystalDI results I have an excuse to sleep somewhat better tonight; but can I?
    Last edited by eikelein; 2015-10-12 at 18:43. Reason: Links to screen shots corrected
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lost...

Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    Interesting I notice the zip is 4 MB and one exe is 208 MB !! I did not see a feature list.
    wavy, what am I missing here, what do you refer to? I am lost... ;-(
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Also, considering that the drive is a bit older, check to see if a firmware update is available. . . Your OS too should have TRIM enabled by default. . .
    Rebuilding my main rig? I am too old for that, sorry.

And TRIM is enabled, checked and confirmed.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eikelein View Post
    Well, this is not pretty.
    I ran GSmartControl and CrystalDiskInfo for my 3 years old Samsung EVO 840 250GB SSD (system disk) and for a brand new Seagate 1TB HDD. The differences make me speechless

I don't trust any of these. The results remind of the very recent VW diesel exhaust scandal.

Here are the screen shots:

Samsung SSD GSmartControl and CrystalDI

Seagate 1TB HDD GSmartControl and CrystalDI

It looks to me like with the CrystalDI results I have an excuse to sleep somewhat better tonight; but can I?
    Your links are requiring login. Maybe it would better to upload them here?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

eikelein (2015-10-12)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Oops

Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Your links are requiring login. Maybe it would better to upload them here?
    Thanks Ruirib.
    I'll have to figure out why these don't work and the one from yesterday does work; grrr.

And DONE, they should work now.

And then I have to figure out how to post screen shots here, never done before. Again, Ruirib, thank you!
    Last edited by eikelein; 2015-10-12 at 18:48. Reason: Enhance feedback
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Thanks Ruirib.
    I'll have to figure out why these don't work and the one from yesterday does work; grrr.

And DONE, they should work now.

And then I have to figure ouy how to post screen shots here, never done before. Again, Ruirib, thank you!
    They seem to be working now .

Hmm... The Seagate ones are still now working.

If you want to use the Lounge, there is quick explanation here: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...advanced-fails
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up gSmartControl is wrong

In the meantime I have done a LOT of reading and tried some other HDD "monitoring" programs.

I ran across Hard Disk Sentinel (HDS) and read most of the author's web site and I liked what I saw. Only one example when he discusses TRIM enabled (in the OS) but shown as disabled:

There is a big difference between the TRIM feature being enabled and being active. Enabled just means that the OS will send the TRIM command to the SSD device (via the controller driver where the SSD is connected), but that does not guarantee that the SSD will actually receive the TRIM command.

The fsutil shows if the operating system in general uses the TRIM function or not.
    The result of this is completely useless - as it returns 0 (TRIM "working") even if there is no SSD present in the system.

If the result is 0, it means that the operating system is prepared to send the TRIM command for the proper device (an SSD with TRIM function supported).

The question is: does the hard disk controller (and its driver) pass this command to the SSD(s) used in the system or block it?
    The problem is that some hard disk controllers (and their drivers) may block the TRIM command, do not pass it to the SSD, even if TRIM is supported by the SSD.

Just as an example; I have learned a lot more.

After testing HDS on two of our machines I ended up paying for it. The SSD in my rig that I was so concerned about gets this result:
    Samsung EVO 840 250GB HardDiskSent.png

All in all this looks much more like a trustworthy program and I will sleep tonight in peace.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    GSC and CDI both show the same result, a good disk. I think you are confusing Type as an indicator of health rather than a descriptor.

To test if TRIM is working see this post: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...=1#post1025469

cheers, Paul

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

eikelein (2015-10-13)

Thanks
    wavy, what am I missing here, what do you refer to? I am lost... ;-(
    The zip file which seems to be of the portable variety is 3 MB. The exe file (which I am guessing is an installable app) is 208 MB.
    I was not able to find a feature comparison between the 2 programs.
    I went with the zip.

Last edited by wavy; 2015-10-13 at 13:54.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

eikelein (2015-10-13)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Really TRIM?

GSC and CDI both show the same result, a good disk. I think you are confusing Type as an indicator of health rather than a descriptor.
    A complete column of "old age" on a two year old Samsung SSD? I don't believe it.

To test if TRIM is working see this post: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...=1#post1025469
    I had done that and it showed enabled.
    But then I read on Hard Disk Sentinel's FAQs:
    The fsutil shows if the operating system in general uses the TRIM function or not.
    The result of this is completely useless - as it returns 0 (TRIM "working") even if there is no SSD present in the system.

If the result is 0, it means that the operating system is prepared to send the TRIM command for the proper device (an SSD with TRIM function supported).

The question is: does the hard disk controller (and its driver) pass this command to the SSD(s) used in the system or block it?
    The problem is that some hard disk controllers (and their drivers) may block the TRIM command, do not pass it to the SSD, even if TRIM is supported by the SSD.

HDS still shows TRIM as disabled in the drive; I will take up this battle with Samsung directly though.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast