Star Lounger
    Thanks

Port scans over past two days

During October 9 through October 11, noticing my system was sometimes unresponsive for seconds at a time, I began to look for other symptoms than a simple over-fragmented hard drive.

On checking the firewall log, I discovered port scans coming from two or three IPs during the last 48 hours.

The IPs are 209.18.47.61 and either 204.86.118.19 (or 20,21) or 66.35.58.75 (or 76-77).

The IP 209.18.47.61 is associated with domain "belfalest.com" and registered with Tierranet Inc.
    The IPs 2014.86.118.19 (20-21) and 66.35.58.75 (76-77) are registered with Dreamhost, LLC with no domain owner visible.

Although I am reluctant to raise what is likely to be a false alarm, port scans are hostile behavior and this series of scans is associated with simultaneously depressed system performance.

Any suggestions about what post-scan checks I should put into place before resuming normal operations?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Are the scans on your PC or router/modem?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Port scans occur all the time, it's DDOS attacks that you need to worry about - or not, depending on how paranoid you are feeling.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    Are the scans on your PC or router/modem?
    The scans were read from my computer firewall log, and the interruptions were experienced on the machine, itself.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Where were the scan coming from, internal or external address?
    If it's internal you probably have malware on a machine, if it's external your router is not configured correctly - it needs to block all incoming.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    If it's internal you probably have malware on a machine, if it's external your router is not configured correctly - it needs to block all incoming.
    It's appalling how badly configured a lot of routers are. Telco and Cable modems are some of the worst and frequently cannot be configured at all.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)