Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Build 10565 available on Insider Fast Ring

Doing an image backup now prior to installing it.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Details at Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10565

Includes improvements for Skype, Edge, Cortana and activation:

If you install this build of the Windows 10 Insider Preview on a PC and it doesn’t automatically activate, you can enter the product key from Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 used to activate the prior Windows version on the same device to activate Windows 10 by going to Settings > Update & security > Activation and selecting Change Product Key.

If you do a clean install of Windows 10 by booting off the media, you can also enter the product key from prior Windows versions on qualifying devices during setup.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

handcuff36 (2015-10-12)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Details at Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10565

Includes improvements for Skype, Edge, Cortana and activation:

If you install this build of the Windows 10 Insider Preview on a PC and it doesn’t automatically activate, you can enter the product key from Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 used to activate the prior Windows version on the same device to activate Windows 10 by going to Settings > Update & security > Activation and selecting Change Product Key.

If you do a clean install of Windows 10 by booting off the media, you can also enter the product key from prior Windows versions on qualifying devices during setup.
    That would be a vast improvement over what I just went through.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Bruce, good news as I will be faced with a like problem this coming weekend.
    This was the longest install, in time, for me. I just got on and it runs fine, I have not looked at all the apps here yet.
    First thing that I did was to do a restore point, again all the previous ones were gone, understandably enough.Now to have fun on Edge.

This version is copyrighted 2016. Already ?

Copy.jpg

All best wishes. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2015-10-13 at 11:59.

New Lounger
    Thanks

So can I dual boot my retail copy of windows 8.1 and windows 10565 and have them both use the same Win8 product key?
    Last edited by skcusime; 2015-10-13 at 23:08. Reason: incorrect version number

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skcusime View Post
    So can I dual boot my retail copy of windows 8.1 and windows 10165 and have them both use the same Win8 product key?
    If you upgrade your Windows 8.1 to Windows 10565, you no longer retain legal use of Windows 8.1. Windows 8.1 becomes superseded.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2015-10-13 at 21:36.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    If you upgrade your Windows 8.1 to Windows 10165, you no longer retain legal use of Windows 8.1. Windows 8.1 becomes superseded.
    I am not saying that is not true but I did a clean install of TP, why should someone lose access to their original OS license when MS is gifting the TP folk w/ a free W10?? There is still much muddy water here!!

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    I am not saying that is not true but I did a clean install of TP
    I was not addressing a clean install of an Insider Preview build. I was addressing an upgrade of Windows 7/8.1 to Windows 10. Not the same thing.
    why should someone lose access to their original OS license when MS is gifting the TP folk w/ a free W10?? There is still much muddy water here!!

Windows Insiders and the Insider Preview builds are a different ball of wax, and there are a number of conflicting statements coming from all directions. I haven't attempted to wade into any of that, nor do I intend to do so.

I did not re-instate my Windows Insider status when I upgraded my Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro build 10240. I'll wait for upgrades when they are released to the general public. I finally tired of the beta testing I was doing on my other desktop, and decided to re-purpose it as a NAS running Windows 10 Pro. This I have done, and that machine is now running Windows 10 Pro build 10240, and I have not re-instated my Windows Insider status on that machine, either.

As I have posted in this thread, I have confirmed to my own satisfaction that an upgrade to Windows 10 Pro over a Retail Windows 7 Ultimate retains its Retail status, and is portable; it can be removed from one PC and installed on another PC in accordance with the EULA.

If Windows 10 is progressing toward letting a legitimate former Windows installation Product Key serve the purpose of activating Windows 10, then that is definitely an improvement over the way that I had to accomplish it on the two desktops I've written about. Interestingly enough, the Microsoft Support Answer Techs who got each of these PC's activated did so by generating new Product Keys for each. Neither PC has the key ending in 3V66T any longer, which was the key being rejected by the activation servers.

I intend to continue dual booting Windows 8.1 Pro with Windows 10 Pro (formerly Windows 7 Ultimate) on my main desktop.

As for licensing particulars, I wouldn't look for any real beginning of clarity until after the next Windows 10 upgrade released to the general public; not saying that all will be clear by then, but some of the questions that linger now may start getting answered. As Yogi Bera said, "It ain't over 'til it's over."

Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I was not addressing a clean install of an Insider Preview build.
    I think you were, if 10165 was meant to be 10565.

(If it was meant to be 10165, then I have no clue!)

Thanks
    I think you were, if 10165 was meant to be 10565.

(If it was meant to be 10165, then I have no clue!)
    I've edited "10165" to read "10565". But I clearly was not addressing a clean install, but rather an upgrade.
    If you upgrade your Windows 8.1 to Windows 10565, you no longer retain legal use of Windows 8.1. Windows 8.1 becomes superseded.

Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So, just to be clear, does this mean that when the public release of this build comes out you will be able to do a clean install of Windows 10 and activate it using your Windows 8 key without having to go through the upgrade process first?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vortex View Post
    So, just to be clear, does this mean that when the public release of this build comes out you will be able to do a clean install of Windows 10 and activate it using your Windows 8 key without having to go through the upgrade process first?
    Yes, as long as that key was previously used to activate Windows 7/8 on the same hardware:

Next big Windows 10 release will ease activation hassles
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-10-14 at 09:23. Reason: added link which includes tests

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, as long as that key was previously used to activate Windows 7/8 on the same hardware:

Next big Windows 10 release will ease activation hassles
    I followed the link and it seems to contradict what you've said:

"I assumed, for example, based on the language in Microsoft's announcement, that the activation servers would insist on a match between the product key you enter and the existing activation record. That would prevent someone from "recycling" old product keys for mass installations.

However, my initial testing turned up different results. I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro on a virtual machine with Windows 7 Ultimate installed, wiping the disk in the process. After setup was complete, I entered a completely different Windows 7 Ultimate product key than the one initially used to activate that OS on that PC. Windows 10 accepted the never-before-used product key and activated the clean install of Windows 10."

I'm hoping that this will still be the case in the public release. I have an unused/uninstalled copy of Windows 8 Pro, complete with unused activation key, which I bought discounted on release (I later decided to stick with Windows 7) and I'd rather not have to install Windows 8/8.1 before installing Windows 10.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vortex View Post
    I followed the link and it seems to contradict what you've said:
    I see what you mean, but that's one single test and I was believing Microsoft's "used to activate the prior Windows version on the same device".

Perhaps we need a few more tests to be sure; when will you be trying?

Thanks
    I was not addressing a clean install of an Insider Preview build. I was addressing an upgrade of Windows 7/8.1 to Windows 10. Not the same thing.
    ."[/SIZE][/FONT]
    I was aware of that. I was just expressing my wonderment at how it all worked.
    When I try my TP on my old machine I will post back....

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast