New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update errors: running Troubleshooter

Hello. I ran Windows Update Troubleshooter on my mom's laptop with Windows 8.1. It found 2 problems and said they are fixed. But everytime i run the troubleshooter, those 2 problems are found and fixed. So those fixes does not seem to be permanent, and are only "fixed" when running the troubleshooter. Is this kind of behavier normal? Update seems to work fine though, except being somewhat slow checking updates.

The laptop had some general performance problems and troubleshooting WU was part of trying to solve them.

Also, is Microsoft Fixit (WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab) similar to Windows build-in WU Troubleshooter or can it do better job fixing problems?

Thanks
    What happened when you ran the WU troublemaker during the same Windows session, maybe an hour apart?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    What were the problems?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran it few times within the same session and after rebooting the computer. I even ran it in safe-mode. I think there was an hour somewhere between the runs.

I don't remember those problems, but one was with an error code and other without. I will run the troubleshooter again next time i visit there. And if it still show those errors, will try the WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab.

Btw, running the WU Troubleshooter cleared Update history. I read it's normal. If i run it on my Windows 7, update history is not cleared, although no problem is not found on my system.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The error messages should be listed in the Windows Event Log.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    For update problems in Win 8.1 the command dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth run from a Command prompt (Admin) has had some success, then follow that up with a sfc /scannow to see if that comes up clean.

The /restorehealth cmd has been known to hang at 20% for a while before completing.

You could also run this MS Fixit to reset Windows Update Components. https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/971058

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    For update problems in Win 8.1 the command dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth run from a Command prompt (Admin) has had some success, then follow that up with a sfc /scannow to see if that comes up clean.

The /restorehealth cmd has been known to hang at 20% for a while before completing.

You could also run this MS Fixit to reset Windows Update Components. https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/971058
    Yes, those both are on my todo list. Is that MS Fixit much different from the build-in troubleshooter?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't think I've found an explanation as to what the trouble shooter actually does, but one of the things could be to remove the contents of the SoftwareDistribution folder which removes the update history - but it would also do this in Win 7, so not sure why it didn't do that on your Win 7.

You haven't actually said what update problems you are getting other than the check for updates being slow, which can be normal.

Does the trouble shooter list what it says it has fixed ?

Letting us know the error code that you have mentioned would help as well.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-10-13 at 05:26.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I don't think I've found an explanation as to what the trouble shooter actually does, but one of the things could be to remove the contents of the SoftwareDistribution folder which removes the update history - but it would also do this in Win 7, so not sure why it didn't do that on your Win 7.

You haven't actually said what update problems you are getting other than the check for updates being slow, which can be normal.

Does the trouble shooter list what it says it has fixed ?

Letting us know the error code that you have mentioned would help as well.
    The Troubleshooter will probably apply fixes in case it find ones. Since i don't have any, it won't do anything. Well, the main reason for running WU TS was to fix some high CPU problems. But i found that disabling Superfetch pretty much seemed to solve it. Update itself seems to work fine. I'm just wondering those errors. I don't remember those errors. It was my mom's laptop and i live elsewhere.

Found this on Microsoft site: ...If you don’t have an Internet connection in Windows 8, you can open the Windows Update troubleshooter that's included in Windows 8. However, that troubleshooter doesn't perform all the troubleshooting steps that the linked troubleshooter does. So the build-in TS is less thorough.

It also said: After the Windows Update Troubleshooter is complete, your previous Windows Update history may be deleted. So the history is not deleted in all cases. I think it's only deleted when the TS is fixing some found problems.
    Last edited by Winkku78; 2015-10-13 at 05:48.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Well, the next time you are around there you can run the dism and sfc cmds to confirm all is well.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Btw, When i run the downloaded WU Fixit on my machine, it also finds 2 problems. And fixing those problems are not permanent. That Fixit does not show any errors until i have checked for updates (i have set WU to manual). After checking updates, those 2 errors are shown on the Fixit troubleshooter. So after rebooting the computer the fixit comes up clean without errors, but checking updates generates/activates those errors. Those errors are RC_DataStore
    ErrorCode: 0x80070490 and other is problem installing recent updates. I won't worry too much of those since installing updates has worked fine.

I have run sfc /scannow which finds problems, but can't fix ll of them. I have also ran the Update readiness tool, which came up without errors. But like i said, i guess there's not much to worry about as long updates are installing fine.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Winkku78 View Post
    I have run sfc /scannow which finds problems, but can't fix ll of them
    You need to run DISM to fix that, see post #6.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe thre's no DISM tool in Windows 7. But i have ran the Update readiness tool, which came up without errors. I'm now talking about my own computer.

My computer and OS are about 5 years old now. I'm not surprised if there's (unrepairable) corruption somewhere. I don't have Windows installation disc, since OS came preinstalled. I think as far everything works well, i should'nt worry too much.

I don't think i can further repair any found corruptions without the installition disc. Windows must tolerate some amount of corruption depending where's it at.

EDIT. I ran sfc /scannow again, and then used a command to export details to desktop. Only file corrupted seemed to be beep.sys. This on my computer.
    Last edited by Winkku78; 2015-10-13 at 11:59.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Entering findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt at the elevated cmd prompt will put an icon onto the Desktop which will open the CBS log in Notepad showing what it can and cannot repair.

SFCFix.exe can also give you an abbreviated report on what it cannot fix.

http://thetechcookbook.com/automatic...ir-sfcfix-exe/

You could post both or either reports.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's my sfcdetails log. Like i said Beep.sys seems to be only corrupted file.

Since that file seems to be corrupted, i just went and disabled it via device manager. It's not needed anyway.

EDIT. I just installed Microsoft monthly updates on my computer. Everything was fine, like always. So even the Fixit troubleshooter finds those 2 errors, it doesn't seem to have effect on installing updates. On my mom's laptop updates have also always installed fine, even though Windows 8.1 WU troubleshooter finds those errors mentioned in the first post. I guess there's really no point digging further, since there's no any practical problem. It would be different if Windows Update wouldn't work etc. I was just curious about those errors.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Winkku78; 2015-10-13 at 16:27.