5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OneDrive Just Reinstalled Itself (Win7/64))

For some unknown reason, when I woke up my computer this afternoon, OneDrive was greyed out and I had a screen prompting me to install it again. No idea why this happened but when I got it restarted, I found the drive allocation had been reduced from 25GB to 15GB.

I didn't have that much data on it but I set it up to share data between my Win7 box and a newer Win10 computer and was looking at possibly storing more on OneDrive. Now I need to think that over.

Anyone run across something like this before?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Could be you had a free 10GB for a year on some promotion.

Not sure why the reinstall happened though.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a Nokia Windows phone but replaced it a few months back with an Andriod. It's possible that there was some storage associated with it that's been removed. There was when I first got it but it was a fairly small amount of storage.

I bought a Surface Pro 3 in July and thought it might have something to do with that but I'm not sure what it would be.

There is one other odd thing, I used to sign into the account with a UserID but now it wants me to use my email. I'm wondering if there's been a change in how that works. It could account for my account being disconnected on the other computer.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    OneDrive is associated with a Microsoft account. Believe that is why it is asking for an email address.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    OneDrive is associated with a Microsoft account. Believe that is why it is asking for an email address.
    At one time, not so long ago, you had a ID name you could log in with. That (quite recently) seems to no longer be the case as I find I can't login with that name anymore.

I really detest using an email address as a login because people change accounts and there are times where there's a legitimate need to have more than one account associated with the same email address. I know that there is a tendency to use an email for a login but that doesn't make it a good idea.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    That's why I use disposable email addresses (E4ward).

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Q: OneDrive keeps disconnecting from my various devices lately. What gives?

A: "Customers who received an error message indicating their device was removed from OneDrive should simply repeat the login process as the issue has now been fixed"
    (as of October 12).

recent reader questions about OneDrive
    (By Mary Jo Foley for All About Microsoft)