New Lounger
    Thanks

Opening multiple Excel windows - Excel 2010, Windows 7

I do a lot of copying data or looking it up with multiple workbooks open at the same time.
    I generally open them by double clicking them in a directory in file explorer.

The default for this is to open all the workbooks in one window which covers each one up with the others or forces them to be small.

I want to open them where they are in separate Excel windows. I have found a work around by open separate instances of excel then opening the files from file explorer but it doesn't always work well and is clunky at best.

We found a description of a method at http://www.coretekservices.com/2011/...parate-windows but it didn't work on my computer.

Bill

Thanks
    Try this:
    File - Options - Advanced, scroll down to near the bottom and check the option to 'Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)'.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That didn't work. I got one new window the first time I tried it. After that, I get this error message every time I try to open any file by double clicking.
    Capture.PNG

I do have a Personal.XLSB book to hold global macros. I get an error saying that it cannot be opened because I have it open for editing, even when I have all copies of excel closed.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    ..what about opening your multiple instances, then 'dragging the file from the explorer window' onto the instance.

(..you are going to like Excel2013/Excel2016 which opens everything in a separate window)

zeddy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to zeddy For This Useful Post:

bill f (2015-10-14)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks zeddy

I copied a shortcut from the start menu to the desktop to make it easier to open multiple Excel windows.
    Dragging from the directories worked.

Still a little bit clunky because of manually opening up the windows and ending up with a bunch of extra workbooks to close (each window creates an empty book).

However *********** IT WORKS *************

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi bill

..you could add Excel to the bottom windows taskbar, then, for each instance of Excel you want, keep your finger on the [Shift] key as you 'click' the Excel icon on the taskbar for each additional 'instance'. This saves you minimising stuff while you look for the 'shortcut' on the desktop.

(To add to the taskbar: right-click on Excel in your start menu, and select 'pin to taskbar')

zeddy

Thanks
    I don't know if this will help you, but it made opening multiple workbooks, and copying between them much easier. It is a cheap addon that places each workbook in a tab in one instance of Excel (or Word):

http://www.extendoffice.com/product/office-tab.html

I think it has a 30 day free trial...

Jim