Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Hidden Updates re-appear

I had a few HIDDEN updates that have resurfaced ( all related to upgrading to Win 10 ). KB2952664, KB3035583, and a new one KB3083710. Be careful out there if you don't want win 10 on your win 7 machine. MS has sunk to a new low of sneakiness. They want Win 10 on YOUR computer regardless of whether you want it or not.

Thanks
    I too noticed KB3035583 came back again on my main PC after I was 99.999% sure I had previously hidden it. It made me doubt the reliability of my memory and made me wonder whether I should have made a written note of it at the time.

Personally I think it willl be a poor state of affairs if I end up having to document and/or screenshot each and every system change I make using Windows Update in case MY choices and MY changes on MY systems are overridden by zombie updates. But hey, that's just my opinion...

Thanks
    LOL, the reason I know they "Reappeared" is because I put a "Sticky Note" on my desktop awhile back. It's hard to trust this old memory anymore.
    I had never gotten KB3083710 before since it is a newer "Trickster".
    Here's my list so far:
    1. KB2952664
    2. KB2976978
    3. KB2977759
    4. KB3035583
    5- KB3075249
    6- KB3080149
    7- KB3083710

I did notice an anomaly though when right clicking to "Hide Update". Usually when you right click on the KB you get 2 choices and on the hide update choice there is a small shield on the left side of that choice. It is now missing the shield on win 10 related KB's when you hide them. I assume that means they will be there the next time I go to windows updates.
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2015-10-13 at 16:50.

Thanks
    Yup The reg edit is still working for me.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Just because one hides KB-X, does not mean MS can not reGive it you...for you to hide it again and again [que FDR].
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When I was offered KB3035583 as an out of cycle update recently and hid it again, I noticed it was a different size to the one already hidden there and the same applied to two of the three Win 10 updates that are also in there.

I haven't gotten this month's updates yet as I don't normally get them until sometime on Wednesdays, but I always check the More info on each before including or hiding.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows has re-released some of those Windows 10 related and telemetry updates, like KB3035583 and KB2952664. They are completely new versions, so they will be offered, even the earlier versions of the patch are hidden. Those "crap" patches seems to be either recommened or optional updates. So if you have set automatic updates, disabling recommened updates would be a good idea, since recommened updates are installed automatically by default. I have set "check for updates but let me choose whether to download or install them". So then i can go through and select what i want to install.

img_5462dc500e7ea.png

Thanks
    Find this on another board somewhere...
    create a batchfile with the following in it, run elevated

@echo on
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3083710 /norestart /quiet
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3080149 /norestart /quiet
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3075249 /norestart /quiet
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3068708 /norestart /quiet
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3035583 /norestart /quiet
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3022345 /norestart /quiet
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3012973 /norestart /quiet
    wusa /uninstall /kb:2990214 /norestart /quiet
    wusa /uninstall /kb:2976978 /norestart /quiet
    wusa /uninstall /kb:2952664 /norestart /quiet
    pause

-- end of batchfile, I added pause so one can see it worked [10/14: added 3710]
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2015-10-14 at 11:40.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've just downloaded mine and none of the Win 10 related ones were offered - wonder if MS are getting the message

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I've just downloaded mine and none of the Win 10 related ones were offered - wonder if MS are getting the message
    Interesting
    As I posted earlier, no such luck for me. But as Winkku78 posted, maybe MS keeps adding more crap to the KB's so it bypasses the "hidden" part for some.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There has been several versions of the KB3035583 (GWX) patch. This newest is already 6th version. I guess they will stop making new versions quite soon, at least hopefully.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a 4 year old 64-bit workstation running Windows 7, that is suitably equipped to run Windows 10. It has the WinTP installed at build 10240 (but it is on the slow ring and has not been offered any updates since that build was put up).

The Win7 partition has GWX installed, but I have never reserved the Win10 upgrade.

Then, today, I found out you DON'T have to reserve the upgrade. MS simply shoves it into your face (so to speak) whether you want it or not. You are NOT given much of a choice.

Further, the Win10 upgrade is tagged as an OPTIONAL update, yet when Windows Update comes up, any required and recommended updates are ALL unchecked while the Win10 optional update is the only one checked. This is invasive push technology being used by MS, so apparently the adoption rate isn't yet high enough for their marketing plans.

I immediately unchecked the update and marked it as hidden.

I then checked for other updates and found 10 more, but to my surprise, once again, all were unchecked (including required and recommended updates) while only the Win10 update was checked. Repeat the hide operation, select the other updates and install them (this is the recommended path to take so the system you upgrade is fully updated first).

After the reboot, the Win10 update stayed hidden this time.

One should not have to play such cat and mouse games with MS. If the Win10 upgrade is NOT reserved, it should NOT be offed (especially at the expense of required and recommended updates).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    Yup The reg edit is still working for me.

Still holding on both!!
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, Windows 10 is offered very aggressively. Windows 10 installation files can be loaded on your system, even if you have not reserved it. Those files can be up to 6 gigs. You may not even know you have those files. 'GWX Control Panel' is a nice little utility to check GWX state on your system. It also shows, if the installation folder is already present. It also lets you disable OS upgrades, so Windows 10 then shouldn't be offered or auto downloaded. When you disable OS upgrade, it adds this entry to the Windows registry Subkey: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUp date
    DWORD value: DisableOSUpgrade = 1

'GWX Control Panel' website: http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/201...ly-remove.html

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Winkku78 View Post
    Those files can be up to 6 gigs. When you disable OS upgrade, it adds this entry to the Windows registry Subkey: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUp date
    DWORD value: DisableOSUpgrade = 1
    Mine is 10.3 GB!!!

But what else does it do???

David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast