Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Password question

In Windows 7 Pro, how can I password entry to an application? I remember that in previous versions of Windows, it was a simple process, but I can't find how to do it now. I want to prevent anyone but me opening Thunderbird.

Thanks,
    Sheila

Thanks
    There might be a way to create a password-governed batchfile containing t-bird's main EXE -- however, I do not know how to do that. A VBS script might do the job.
    How many others use your computer? Work? Home? School?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Sheila,

Perhaps this article will be of use.

Or this one.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    RetiredGeek, in one of the two articles, it gives instructions on how to reset a forgotten t-bird master password. Ok, I'm in that family, I [not the OP] "forgot" the master password What's to prevent me from gaining access by resetting the t-bird master password?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

Thanks
    In one of the two articles, I found this snippit...

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/06/28/how...t-thunderbird/
    "This protection is generally considered to be weak, largely because of options to circumvent the protection. It is for instance possible to access the mails and other information directly in the Thunderbird profile directory.

It might provide enough protection in some situations but technical users will find a way around it eventually. This protection becomes stronger if IMAP accounts are used since the emails are by default not downloaded to the local computer system. Thunderbird 3 on the other hand makes use of email synchronization by default which downloads the messages to the local PC. This feature needs to be disabled in Account Settings --> Synchronization & Storage.

---end snippit

I think if OP really wants security, we're back to square one and something a bit stronger.

Thanks
    RetiredGeek's excellent post made me think. EZ security is not secure. If OP really wants SECURITY, my idea [given earlier] is not going to work either. Very likely, a 3rd party software is going to be needed; probably won't be free, probably won't be EZ.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Roland,

You'll notice in the first link they do mention using TrueCrypt for real protection. Of course TrueCrypt should now be replaced with VeraCrypt and it is FREE. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    But it's not easy.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all. I found a Thunderbird addon: "Force Authentication at Startup" which does what I need. It needs a Master Password to be set, and then it won't open Thunderbird without that password.

Sheila

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I wonder how it works and whether you can defeat it if you forget the password. There isn't much information on the web site.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    I am sure this is not the ultimate security, but for my purposes, it is enough. I occasionally allow friends to use my computer for their email (webmail) and don't want my own emails available to them. This addon works fine. Thunderbird now requires the master password in order to open. Very simple. I haven't seen any information on defeating it, so I have to be sure I can remember the password. It would be nice if there was more info. Maybe in future versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    I wonder how it works and whether you can defeat it if you forget the password. There isn't much information on the web site.

Sheila

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    .... they do mention using TrueCrypt for real protection. Of course TrueCrypt should now be replaced with VeraCrypt and it is FREE. HTH
    Truecrypt has recently been broken and won't be fixed, so yes, it MUST be abandoned for something else if you want a secure drive(s) or partition(s).
    http://windowssecrets.com/on-securit...rypt-revealed/

Since the OP is asking about password protecting an app--I have not idea how this is done or indeed if it ever could be unless the app itself asks for a password to permit access--I would suggest an alternative and a good practice IMHO.

If multiple users are on the same PC set them up with User Accounts. You can password your own account. Assuming the OP is the admin, I would set all accounts to Standard User, except the Admin account. This limits some potential malware damage as well.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-10-23 at 10:32. Reason: added windows secrets link

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    TrueCrypt has been replaced by VeraCrypt.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks

Thunderbird password

In Thunderbird you can set a master password, but this is only to protect your credentials, and from someone else sending or receiving messages. It does not stop anyone from reading emails stored on your system - that capability is built into your operating system.

You can password protect Thunderbird with a setting in the configuration editor and setting a master password in Thunderbird. The only problem is that this setting is a bit buggy.

It is trivial to bypass, but may be ok if those accessing the computer are unlikely to want to snoop.

To get to the Config Editor, go to Tools > Options > Advanced > General and press the Config Editor button. You'll see the warning, This might void your warranty!, click the button labeled I'll be careful, I promise!, to continue. Copy and Paste this: mail.password_protect_local_cache into the search bar, and toggle it to true.

Other than that, the only way to really "lock" Thunderbird so no one can see or use it, or any other stuff on your computer when you're away, is to lock the system. Then when you want to return, sign back in. Do this every time you leave the computer and think someone might want to see what you've got in it.

In Windows, hold down the Win key (Next to Alt) and hit the L key.
    No one will be able to see anything unless they sign back in with your system password.

Go ahead, try it now. Hit the Windows key and L and your computer is locked.
    Enter your system password and the computer is unlocked.
    It's quick and easy. No logging on and off Thunderbird is involved and everything comes back just as you left it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Question from a non-tech lay_person:
    Why does Steve Gibson say that TrueCrypt V7.1A is "still safe to use", and other are saying it's "broken" and VeraCrypt should be used instead?

Can someone clarify my confusion for me, please?
    Dick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast