Thanks

Windows Live Mail sign-in issue

My friend's Win 8.1 computer started having Windows Live Mail asking him to sign in again. It kept refusing to accept the password for the Cox account. I went online to cox.net and put in the password, and it logged into the account with no problem, so I knew it was the correct password.

Then he mentioned that he had changed the Cox password a month or so ago, so we went back into WLM and when it asked for the password, put in the old password and it worked. So why would WLM want a different password than Cox.net wants? And why would it suddenly have started asking for the password anyway?

The Cox email account is the only email account that is configured in WLM.

Thanks

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Every time you access an online email account from a mail client you will be required to enter the password, unless you use a browser and tick the "keep me signed in" box. When the stored credentials doesn't let you in, the mail client asks for the credentials.
    Why it accepts the old password is a complete mystery.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Same stuff has happened before with Cox (webmail OK, email client not):

Outlook stopped logging on to ISP Cox

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Same stuff has happened before with Cox (webmail OK, email client not):

Outlook stopped logging on to ISP Cox
    That's an interesting thread, maybe I'll try calling Cox but I suspect they will blow me off.

But there is something that I don't understand here. Apparently you can use WLM and have it "Connect to Windows Live Services" or not. This is determined by the setting in Options>Connection>Connecting to Windows Live Services - see screenshot. If I tell it there to "Stop signing in" then his newer password, as entered in the email setup, allows it to work fine.

If I tell it in the Connection tab to Sign In, then it gives errors, a dialog that shows that same Cox account sign-in, requesting him to re-enter the password. That dialog requires the old password in order allow him to continue. So once he does that, at that point it seems like WLM is working with two different passwords at the same time, the one in this dialog, and the one in the email account configuration.

At first I said let's just leave it not signing in, since it can access his email fine like that, but he needs those other Windows Live services.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    I think that writing this has given me some clarity. Since his email is a Cox account, there would be no Live Services associated with it, and all this would be moot. He must have a Windows Live account that is registered to the Cox account and that is what is being connected to on the Connections tab. And it uses the old password. If so, then we need to change the password there to keep everything consistent.
    Last edited by Vincenzo; 2015-10-14 at 12:15.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Is the old password for his MS account?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I got back on my friend's computer yesterday, and he does in fact have a MS account that uses his Cox email as a sign in, with the old password. He did not know he had that account.

I'd like to eliminate having WLM sign in to that account, but if I do, then his contacts list in WLM goes from 600 contacts down to 400 contacts. Apparently the MS account is providing some contacts that are not stored locally?

But the MS account shows 600 contacts, so it looks like the MS account has all the contacts that are in WLM, and 200 additional. I can't figure out how to find out which ones are the 200 that I need. And if I just export them all and import them into WLM, then I will get 400 duplicates, since I don't see any option in the import function to eliminate duplicates.

I've looked into the Clean Up Contacts feature in WLM but it wants you log in to the MS account, so I can't see that helping with locally stored contacts.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Thanks
    I just tried running Clean Up Contacts on my own computer as a test, it seems to find duplicates, but upon completion the duplicates are still there.