Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrade to 10 - Retail vs. OEM licences

Dear all,

Does anybody know the effect of upgrading to Windows 10 on the type of Licence that you have?

Currently I've several PC's with a mixture of Win 7 HP, and Ultimate installed on them. All are "Retail" editions of the software, and I expect to be able to reinstall the OS on the PC's as they become obsolete/Die etc.

A couple are now in this "Slow death" phase, and I expect to replace them during the next 12 to 18 months with new custom build units.

I'm concerned that if I install the upgrade to these PC's before I replace them with new hardware, I'll not be able to reinstall the upgraded Win 10 to the new builds. Does anybody have any Microsoft official word on this, i.e. does the Retail licence of Windows 7 carry over to a Retail edition of Windows 10, or can I upgrade only once to Windows 10 on each PC.

Many thanks,
    D.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    According to this article you will no longer be able to re-use retail licenses once you've upgraded. This is the downside of a free upgrade.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    According to this article you will no longer be able to re-use retail licenses once you've upgraded. This is the downside of a free upgrade.

cheers, Paul
    Comments to that article disagree with that opinion though, as does the Microsoft Software Licensing Terms ("EULA") for Windows 10 (at Settings, System, About):

4. Transfer b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For a while now, Microsoft has been moving in the direction of tying a copy of Windows to a piece of hardware. With Win10, they seem to have come up with a solution.

There doesn't appear to be a serial number or key for Win10 anymore. it's the PC itself that gets "registered" (or whatever they are calling it). When you upgrade a PC to Win10 or use the key from an old PC to install Win10, that "copy" of the OS belongs to that PC. I'm not sure how you would go about "moving" a copy of Win10 from a dead PC to a live one, but it's probably going to involve time on a phone.

It may all soon become moot since MS has been moving to software as a service for quite some time now. I don't expect it will be that much longer before there's an annual fee for each device running Windows.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Paul,

This is part of the problem. If you read here it states the exact opposite

Bruce,
    I'm interested in your quote from the EULA. Does this apply to all versions, such as Home, and Professional?

gsmith,
    I thought the MS as a service had been discussed frequently elsewhere, and that I believed these were just scare stories, do you feel it likely M$ will start charging a subscription?

To All, many thanks for supporting with your information, has anyone found a simple statement from M$ clarifying this aspect of the upgrade?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Donchik View Post
    Bruce,
    I'm interested in your quote from the EULA. Does this apply to all versions, such as Home, and Professional?
    Yes: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Uset...10_English.htm (see 4.b.)

(At http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/useterms you see that Vista/7/8 had different terms for different editions, but it's simplified for 10 to just Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile.)
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-10-14 at 10:22.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

Donchik (2015-10-14)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Seems safe to go with the MS version.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Perfect Bruce

Many thanks for the clarification. Below is the actual text for those who're interested:

4. Transfer. The provisions of this section do not apply if you acquired the software as a consumer in Germany or in any of the countries listed on this site (aka.ms/transfer), in which case any transfer of the software to a third party, and the right to use it, must comply with applicable law.

a. Software preinstalled on device. If you acquired the software preinstalled on a device (and also if you upgraded from software preinstalled on a device), you may transfer the license to use the software directly to another user, only with the licensed device. The transfer must include the software and, if provided with the device, an authentic Windows label including the product key. Before any permitted transfer, the other party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software.

b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.