5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Watch for lots of Office patch goblins in October

PATCH WATCH

Watch for lots of Office patch goblins in October

By Susan Bradley

Based on the number of IE vulnerabilities patched each month, that browser would appear to be one of the most unsecure applications on our PCs second only to Adobe Flash Player. But Chrome has its issues, too. But Office including Office 2016 is also getting more than its share of both security and nonsecurity fixes.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/watch-for-lots-of-office-patch-goblins-in-october/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2015-10-14 at 20:56.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathleen Atkins For This Useful Post:

gmengisen (2015-10-18)

Thanks
    Thanks for the tip about KB 3035583! Sure enough, it was in the list of updates. I deselected it and hid it. Glad I caught it before it installed.
    Bill Meacham
    bmeacham98 AT yahoo.com

Lounger
    Thanks
    I posted this on the Microsoft Community Windows preview forum:

Quote:

There is another update just released (KB3083710) "Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: October 2015"

This contains (Wu.upgrade.ps.dll), if you do a Google search for that dll, the first result shown is https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2990214.

So it would appear that Microsoft are now hiding updates within updates.

:EndQuote

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Doncaster View Post
    I posted this on the Microsoft Community Windows preview forum:

Quote:

There is another update just released (KB3083710) "Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: October 2015"

This contains (Wu.upgrade.ps.dll), if you do a Google search for that dll, the first result shown is https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2990214.

So it would appear that Microsoft are now hiding updates within updates.

:EndQuote
    I'd give that one a wide berth, if I were you. It was initially offered at the end of last month as an optional update, then appeared again at the beginning of this month only to disappear again, and then it re-appeared as important. It's thought likely to be part of the MS Nagware Program for Windows 10.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/299...b-3083710.html
    Last edited by Tandor; 2015-10-18 at 12:15.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks so much for your warning regarding KB3088195! It saved me hours of trouble-shooting why my Windows 7 computer was stuck in the "Starting Windows" screen after I had installed this month's patches. Thankfully, one can uninstall patches in safe mode as I discovered today.