Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Running ancient apps in Windows 7, 8, and 10

LANGALIST PLUS

Running ancient apps in Windows 7, 8, and 10

By Fred Langa

There's almost always a way to get older software even obsolete XP, Win3x/9x, and DOS apps running on currently supported versions of Windows. Here's how. Plus: What to do when Win7 drops its mapped-drive connections, and how to correct display problems with Office and other apps on high-resolution screens.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/running-ancient-apps-in-windows-7-8-and-10/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Has anyone found any way to run extremely old ".com" programs in newer versions of Windows OS? I was pretty ceertain that they would not run any OS after MS dropped the command processor. The programs go back to the DOS days but I still need a few of them.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I use DOSBox for really old DOS programs, particularly games.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul,

By any chance do you know if it is possible to cut and paste from within dosbox to another program outside of it in Win 7 (or above) and vica versa?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    I use DOSBox for really old DOS programs, particularly games.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One of the barriers to old programs can be installation. While they can run in Compatibility Mode, they're not able to be installed in the first place. A couple of times, I've found doing a manual install does the trick. Find out where the Setup program puts it's files, create those locations and copy the files into those places. You may have to unpack the Setup file to do so. And there may be ini files to update. Then set the exe to compatibility mode, perhaps from a shortcut.

This doesn't work with more recent programs that make various registry edits. While you could certainly track those and do it manually, it begins to get stupid and can lead to an endless debugging process. But the above may better than a VPC.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is there a way to run 16-bit programs in Win 7 Pro? Theyu don't even work when I use XP COmpatibility mode.

I know I can use any virtual PC (I prefer Oracle's VP), but then I have to do several clicks just to get the program running.

For several DOS programs I have figured out, using DOSBox, how to set up a command line as a shortcut to an icon in the Start Menu. Now when I want to run that old DOS program, I just click on the icon; DOSBox starts and then runs the program. When I exit the program, it closes and then DOSBox closes and I'm back at the Win 7 Pro desktop.

is there a way to do that with a DOS or 16-bit program installed in Oracle's VP?

Thanks!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I can't see a way to copy/paste in DOSBox.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul T - I think you misunderstood what I was attempting to do.

I do not need to copy/paste in DOSBox, but you can.

What I want to do is create a Start Menu icon that starts VPC and then starts the old program without having to click more than once - like I do with my current DOS programs using DOSBox.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I assume you can, but I've never tested it. See this VB article.
    https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch...manage-startvm

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a program, Backup On Demand, that no longer is supported. It runs fine on my XP3. I have tried to install on Win 7, using Compatibility as XP3, XP2 and XP2 with all the Settings checked. After reading Langa's Oct. 15 article, I tried again.

Every time the install all works up until the required Windows reboot step. Then during the reboot, I get an Installation Error which says "Unable to load BOD Driver: 2". This driver seems to affect the primary program. There is an Archive program also installed, and it works just fine.

I looked at the Install logs from both the XP and Win 7, and they are identical. I checked on the XP, and there does not appear to be a file named BOD Driver.

Any idea where to look for this Driver, or how to proceed?

I have evaluated lots of backup programs for Win 7. I found a replacement that is close, and it works fine, but it is not as versatile as Backup On Demand.

Harry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Looks like Backup On Demand has not been published or kept up to date in 10 years. This link about the program will open an .shtml file in your browser or offer to save it:
    http://www.caddais.com/BackupOnDemand.shtml

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Berton:

Yes the program has probably not been updated for 10 years.

Not sure what I am supposed to do with that link. It just takes me to what appears to be an old version of their website. Here is the actual website:
    http://www.caddais.com/BackupOnDemand

Harry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hmw View Post
    Berton:

Yes the program has probably not been updated for 10 years.

Not sure what I am supposed to do with that link. It just takes me to what appears to be an old version of their website. Here is the actual website:
    http://www.caddais.com/BackupOnDemand

Harry
    It's the same page different formatting, just that one has to choose to Open or Save.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Berton:

But I still don't understand what you want me to do when I go to their website. I already have the .zip file for the program from when I installed it years ago on my XP. And I have the latest version.

Harry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hmw View Post
    Berton:

But I still don't understand what you want me to do when I go to their website. I already have the .zip file for the program from when I installed it years ago on my XP. And I have the latest version.

Harry
    A .zip file requires decompressing/extracting to a folder on the hard drive before running it, usually an .exe file that results from the extracting. Since WinXP is the latest version mention it's quite likely it won't run for you on WinVista, Win7, Win8, Win8.1 or Win10.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast